Can I use floodlights for lighting?

aretha_powe

The best solution for continuous lighting would be those used by videographers ... which in some areas can be rented for

the day. Custom white balance the camera. and you are good to go.

However, just like video lights, it will spoil the ambient lighting and mood of any enclosed area.

Your on-camera flash is plenty, and unless it's a Big Top circus tent, you can use a combination of diffused light using a

Gary Fong LightSphere, Stofen, LumiQuest, or my new favorite the Mila Grid ... plus use bounce off of the tent fabric

above. Learning proper techniques for balancing strobe with ambient is essential ... but not that difficult.

Alice-

If you have a flash you can make a bounce card very simply and bounce it off the tent and get fantastic results. Go to a JoAnns or Michaels and pick up a white foam sheet called "FOAMIES" made by Darico. A 2mm 12 x 18 sheet cost about $1.50 and you can make about 10 foam cards. Then go to http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/ and watch the video on how to make one. I guarantee you that your results will look like you spent $$ on lighting equipment. I attach the foam to my flash with a self-made elastic band.

You can check out some of my examples at http://hmager.smugmug.com/gallery/4656348_9E55b#275005135_d4rPU all of the photo's backstage where taken with an SB 800 flash (set to manual) and the "better bounce card."

To get a soft umbrella look position the foam on the front side of the flash, for more power and harder edge position the foam on the back of the flash. Your best bet is to experiment and set your white balance accordingly.

Good luck and have fun.

> Small bridal party, about 100 guests. <

Big Tent, hey?

> floodlights purchased from a home improvement store <

Nope: way too dangerous, IMO

> photo umbrella kit? <

Nope: too cumbersome.

> 580ex flash and a flash bracket. < and > I know, she should pay a pro, etc, but she's not going to do that. <

Use the 580 and a press photographer`s bounce card (stiff white cardboard) and use the ambient (during any daylight) at between -2 and -1 1/2 stops. When sun has set use decide if the tent roof is adequate to use as bounce.

Any stuff ups: convert to B&W.

Do not drink any alcohol

No trash talk just answered the question and told you how it can be done. QED.

WW

For what you have to work with, I'd say use the 580 with the bracket to eliminate red eye and shadow problems. That's what it's for. To light the background a bit, assuming dragging the shutter won't do it, set the 580 manually to a wider zoom than the lens. Don't auto zoom. This will light the sides of the subject and help alleviate the coleminer look. Try bouncing sure, but if you come up short try what I've suggested to get more power.