Film changing tents

vito_bitondo

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Harrison Original Tent and the Photoflex Changing Room tent.

There is fair amount of difference in price with the Harrision going for $199.95 and the Photoflex listing for $69.95. I

will initially use the tents for 5X7 and eventually moving to 8X10. According to the description they both can handle

both 5X7 and 8X10. I just need to know if it is worth paying the extra for the Harrision.

Thanks in advance.

Vito

The Photoflex bag does not work well at all for 8x10. I have one and commonly change five 8x10 holders, loading

and unloading 10 sheets and there are many problems. You can only pull the darkslide about 2-3" max and you must

curl the film from above to insert it. Makes it tough to ensure the film is under the siderails and I suspect it

adds a lot of dust to the film. Also, with 8x10, boxes and filmholders are in one stack which is complicated. You

also have one arm in each side which means the box is on your lap or you're hunching over it. Works fine for 4x5,

but I don't think it's big enough for 8x10. I'm getting a Harrison soon.

Hi, Vito,

I have owned both and thank God for the Harrison. Two days after I bought the Harrison, I put the Photoflex on ebay.

The Photoflex is just not big enough to easily handle anything above 4x5. Even for that, it was a challenge to

work with more than ten holders at a time considering that I also had to manage the space for two stacks of

holders (empty and full or vice versa) and for the film box, plus a need for vertical space to work in. Above

that, the sleeves are pretty much at the sides which was awkward at best.

The medium Harrison that I use has sleeves at the front, a huge footprint by comparison, with tons of space for

even 8x10 holders and boxes. I can do thirty or more 4x5's in multiple stacks with space to spare. While it is

more expensive and a bit more involved to set up; it is way, way more user friendly than the Photoflex even

though that one is still a good product.

With the option to go to the even larger Harrison tent, I am sure you will be completely pleased by going that way.

Tim

Hi Vito...

I have used the Harrison for 8 x 10 with no problems at all (other than the fact that any tent gets really hot and sweaty). The Harrison is very nicely made and ergonomically good as well. I have a Calumet tent for 4 x 5 that is every bit as nice as the Harrison and was substantially less money...I don't know if they are still available. Try Calumetphotographic.com.

Ed

The PhotoFlex is too small and the Harrison is too low. I was always bumping into the top of the tent when changing any film holder of any size. A local photo store carried a film tent that was twice as high as the Harrison and about 1/3 smaller in base primiter but I do not remember the brand nor have I seen it on the internet. The Harrison was designed for 35mm movie film magizines.

Hi Vito,

I also recommend the Harrison. I got my "Pup" tent in 1994 and, while I'm not a heavy user, it has held up well. I have only used it for 4x5 and think

I've gotten close to 20 holders in it. I had a few brief experiences with a Photoflex model and didn't like it as much. If I recall, it was kind of in my face.

While not cheap, I think you'll be in for a better experience with the Harrison tent.

Nw

Hi Vito, I had a Harrison Pup tent (4x5) for about six years and really liked it. Then one day I took it out of it's bag and the inside was just a bunch of goo. It had melted like tar. It had never been in extreme heat, nor cold. The warrenty had expired. I contacted the company and they said I could buy a new one from them for $200. I did not expect a replacement, just a bit of understanding as to why it had melted. They were very short with me. I will never again buy a Harrison product.

Another vote for the Harrison. The only thing that bothers me about mine is that the poles are so stiff that the stitching

on the corners looks like it going to eventually give way. I gently over-flexed the poles a bit to give them a little more curve to

ease the tension. Other than that the Harrison is super well made and I think worth the extra money.

Robbie-

I had the same thing happen to a Chimera Super Pro bank, one day the inside looked like it had been freshly painted

with white sticky paint and it had been stored indoors and used very little. It was over 9 years old and Chimera sold me

a new one at cost because it was out of warranty. Chimera had no explanation to offer either. The new bank has a completely different

lining inside. I guess it's in the nature of plastics to be a bit fugitive. I had a few jackets and a couple Tenba bags made in that timeframe

that had their linings self destruct as well. Years before that the foam in some Halliburton cases spontaneously lost it at about 8 or so

years - not nice to open the case one day and find your Hasselblads starting to fuse to sticky gooey foam. I think the half-life of

certain plastics back then were quite short. Hopefully it's been solved or at least improved, but for some plasticized

fabric products I just expect they won't last forever - but 20 years would be nice. Some of my Sinar bellows are probably

18+ and in great shape still.