Shooting for a friend, but they said "You can't move around"

brian_castellanos

My friends had asked me to shoot their wedding in October. I've been spending just about every night for just about a

month now learning my equipment, and getting my skill down: composition, exposure, shooting in low light, direct

light, twilight. Walking around in 112 weather photographing buildings, people, animals, water, strangers..just to

prepare for this wedding. I want the pictures stunning and be able to wow myself..like "6 months of hard work and

non-stop learning shows".

Now I've been told that the lady running the church said the photographer had to stay seated during the ceromony..

Has anyone ever run into an issue like this? Obviously I was a little disappointed and upset because why am I going

to drive four hours north to take snapshots that I could do with a P&S, instead of lugging around all my gear.

They said, "The lady says that you can re-create any of the poses after the ceromony", and its ok how the pictures

come out, at least we'll have some.

Totally boggled my mind..I told them if they wanted snapshots, then they shouldn't have me doing the wedding,

because its not worth my time, or theirs, because they could just have the rest of their family do snapshots, email

them pictures and put together a Kodak photo album from the self printer at CVS.

I said, you can't recreate poses that are supposed to include the guest. Have the father and bride walk down the

aisle again with no one in the pews?

Wow...what should I do?

Brian,

Most churches that don't allow photography during the wedding will allow photos of the processional and recessional, but be sure to check with the 'church lady' first. If possible you can talk with the minister before hand and he/she may make an exception, but don't count on it.

It's common to go back and recreate to ring exchange and kiss photos, but whatever happens be sure to follow the churches guidelines, no matter how inconvenient is may seem to you.

Remember the wedding isn't staged for the photographers benefit, we just have to do our best with whatever hand we're dealt.

Relax, and good luck.

Jim

Try to contain your outrage. It happens from time to time. Read the following.

http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00PnH5

The photographer is usually allowed to be standing and use flash for the processional and recessional (ask about the kiss at the end), although sometimes even this is not allowed. I've shot some ceremonies where absolutely no photography is allowed.

As a professional, you don't shoot snapshots, you shoot professional images from your stationary spot using zooms and/or fast teles. And recreating, which can be done well. You crop tightly using longer lenses to hide the fact that guests aren't in the background. This is not an ideal situation, but a professional makes the best out of any situation and comes away with great images.

This isn't terribly unusual, though the most restrictive situation I've been in personally limited me to no flash, and I had to stay behind the last row of guests.

I wouldn't suggest this for someone pursuing wedding photography professionally because it could mean serious reputation damage, but if this is a one-off situation then it's something to consider. Talk to the B&G, explain your concerns, and then suggest to them that if the pictures are important to them, you could totally disregard the church's rules. They're probably not going to call the cops or anything like that. I doubt they'd stop the wedding. The worst case would most likely be that you'd be banned from that church or something, but you would get your pictures. Though if the B&G want you to do this, they should check any contract they signed with the church. There might be some sort of penalty in the contract for you breaking their rules.

That being said, if you know what you're doing, even from your seat in the audience you pictures should be better than those from a P&S.

<p>Depends greatly on the local culture, but this can be pretty normal.</p>

<p>Have no experience of US weddings, but in the UK the general advice to the photographer from the officiant is

usually along the lines of pick a spot and stay there; no photography during the religious element; no flash photography

at all. It would be highly unusual for a photographer to move around during the ceremony. The trick is just to accept

these conditions and see what you can produce. Likely strategies are either being close to the wedding party with a fast

wide prime, or a little further away but out of immediate vision with a moderate telephoto. And with the acoustics of a

12th century church a quiet camera is essential; but perhaps less important in a 20th century one.</p>

<p>Ultimately a church wedding is a religious sacrament first and foremost. Opportunities for the photographer quite

rightly always come way down the list.</p>

Agree with above - this is NOT an unusual condition for many of the more conservative churches. Often this condition is enforced by a deposit that the bride must pay the church and will forfeit if the photographer disregards the rule - not to mention the photographer being "blacklisted" by the church. There are probably more rules that accompany this one - be sure to familiarize yourself with them.

I know my opinion isn't shared by everyone, but this is one reason why I believe that for some weddings, in some churches, a bride should ONLY consider a pro whose equipment and experience is specific to doing this type of shoot. Stumbling into this situation well-intentioned but ill prepared is not the way to have a good day.

who is this " church lady"?

is she related to the church piano player who threatened to hit the photographer.

It would be good to talk tho the person who is performing the wedding.

and if it seems ambiguous get it in writing on church stationery, if possible.

there was a recent posting where the reverend permitted photography, but the senior pastor ( only there as a

guest) did not.

Since the wedding is 4 hours by car away,. You could likely get away with doing the stuff that the

snap snap P&S guest will be doing. and not affect any future as a wedding photographer in your area.

But it is NOT advisable.

It is best to get a definite set of rules, IN WRITING, "church ladies" can be a royal PITA.

We recently got soft chairs to replace hard pews. after a year, the seating was changed 90 degrees.

Siome of the older folks were VERY BITTER that the wooden cross was now at the side

not the "new" front. ( big deal) Fortunately the pastor is a good carpender and made a large cross and put it up

on the new "front". people get offended by things that are meaninless to the rest of us.

best thought not to offend anybody at the risk of causing a furor in the middle of the wedding.

This "church lady" might throw a tantrum and spoil the wedding.

Personnaly, if this tantrum happened to me as a photographer, I would walk out.

If I were the man getting married, I would announce I would be getting married next week in another church.

It has been over a century since they droiwned Witches.

Thanks everyone, I am still learning exposure. What I said wasn't mean to say that I was a professional in what I do, but instead to say that I, like most of us, take what we do seriously. They came to me because they wanted good pictures to be taken, and I've taken the wedding seriously enough to not learn just a style of photography that I'm comfortable with, but to understand and analyze everyone elses style of shooting - using long lenses, wide lenses, high f-shops, shooting in the golden zone, in thirds, in diagonal, 7/8th, 3/4s, or full, shooting from different persepctives and in harsh lighting conditions, soft lighting conditions, etc.

I understand that I may not be as qualified as a pro, however, I want do everything that I can to shoot as close as possible. What I was trying to say is that I'm taking this event seriously because I want to develop my skills as a photographer, I want to be the best that I can be, and I will do whatever I can to get there.

I'm reaching to the community to ask for help to see how they've been able to react in similar situations, to see if this is commonplace, to see how they were able to make lemonade out of lemons, not to whine about how I have to sit during the ceremony.

BTW, from what I understand "Church lady" is just the one who books the church ahead of time. I haven't seen the church yet, but I know its in northern AZ, I don't believe she's actually the officiant. My friends weren't even clear about what it meant that you can't move around...they said that they *thought* she meant you had to stay seated, but I asked them speficially, can you stay stationary from the back. Short answer, not even they have all the answers.

Thanks for all the input!

i usually get about 3 or 4 of these ridiculous situations a year and here's what i do:

1) let the client know about the restrictions imposed and let them know how it can be detrimental to capturing their special day. show them a short list of shots that i've taken during ceremonies that are "wow" shots that wouldn't have been possible if photography wasn't allowed.

2) asking the couple to talk to the officiant about easing up on the rules. (sometimes this works)

3) i'll setup a stationary camera on a tripod, usually aimed down the aisle at the alter, and set it to take shots w/o flash in 5 min intervals.

If you are unclear about the rules, I suggest you call the church lady yourself and ask very specfic questions. Such as where and if you can stand and use flash for the processional, recessional (and kiss at the end). Sometimes you are only allowed to stand halfway down the aisle and not at the altar end. Whether you have to be stationary but can shoot images while standing in your spot (there are some places that will allow a remote camera but not a manned one). Normally, one is allowed to stand (if toward the door) in the aisle and use flash for the processional and recessional. Normally, when told to be stationary, that means pick a spot--some places restrict you to just behind the last seated guest, toward the back--and stay there until the end of the ceremony, when you get ready to move and shoot with flash when the couple comes down the aisle. You should find out exactly what is allowed.

When you do find out, then see if there is wiggle room. Read the thread I posted. Sometimes you can bargain, but this works better with the actual officiator rather than the church lady. If you do this, try not to make it appear as if you are going over her head though.

I would take advantage of the recreation time as well. I would also be sure the officiator knows that you are going to do recreations, because many times, unless specifically asked, the officiator disappears immediately after the end of the ceremony. Again, read the other thread. When you recreate, be organized and know what you are going to do.

In summary:

1. WHO told you the rules?

2. What are the REAL rules?

3. Communicate / Negotiate with the KEY people to get the rules straight.

4. Follow the rules

The above summary is detailed in my contribution the thread linked above, in Nadine`s first post.

It is apparent to me that there is likely a great deal of misinformation and third party commentary driving these

matters at present.

It is essential that you speak to the decision maker, sooner, rather than later and that should be in a calm, non

emotive but professional manner resulting in clear and defined outcomes.

And, as mentioned, be very clear if you are to recreate that the deal will honoured from both sides and the Officiating

Minister is aware of their responsibilities to the deal. (Again I stress the importance of direct communication with the

decision maker).

Welcome to the world of Wedding Photography: the Golden Rules of Negotiation and Diplomacy might need to be as

finely honed as your understanding of the Rule of Thirds and Ambient Flash Fill . . .

:)

Good luck.

WW

Make sure this is very clear in the contract. State what the church rules are and that you are limited by them. That after the wedding the clients can't freak out and wonder why you didnt get any good shots during the cermony.

Take a deep breath, relax.

This is normal for a lot of churches, especially Catholics, although inconsiderate shooters are starting to make it the norm for other churches as well. Consider yourself lucky that you are allowed to recreate shots in the church. Some don't allow you to shoot at all, period.

It seems that your friends are OK with the situation, why trouble yourself over it? If you love shooting, all the practice will only help you more in the future.