Artificial eyeball does away with distortion

From New Scientist comes word of a new <a

href="http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn14477-artificial-eyeball-does-away-with-distortion.html">digital

eyeball</a>. How long will it be before people start asking "What kind of sunglasses should I get for my new

camera?"

<p>

<i>Mimicking the curves of a human retina has enabled a digital image sensor to take wide-angle pictures

without distortion. This is possible thanks to an improved method of transferring silicon sensors onto a curved

surface.</i>

Cool, let's hope someone does something parctical with it. People do buy panorama cameras, so there must a market for a specialized tool of this kind. Remember that the fish-eye was developed for weather observations, if I recall it correctly.

"How long will it be before people start asking 'What kind of sunglasses should I get for my new camera?'"

I was thinking, when I read the title, "What kind of new eyeballs should I get for my new sunglasses?" Maybe if I were not sixty-three and getting older every day, fighting dry-eye and ghostly images on computer screens, I would not be asking questions like this.

--Lannie