Scanner Specs for Max Slide Image Size

I currently use a Canon Model 8000F (2002 Model) flatbed scanner. This scanner will only scan at 600dpi maximum.

Images from max scan submitted to potential client was only 16mb in size.

They like and want to use the image but require minimum size of 24mb.

I was looking at the new Canon 8800Fwhich supposedly scans up to 6400dpi, 48 bit etc. Looks good and customer

reviews are good.

Canon or another brand is not the issue, the issue is, I need help in buying a scanner ( for film 35mm and 120mm,

and slides) specifically one which does quality scans and will provide me file sizes of between 24-100mb.

I have Windows XP OS.

Photoshop Elements 3 and 6.

Any suggestions, recommendations?

Thank You in advance.

Doug Settle

This is a flatbed scanner that sels through B&H for $174, and claims to be scanning 6400 dpi. At the same site the

Coolscan 9000, a dedicated multi-format film scanner capable of 4000dpi, is going for $2100 (and currently out of

stock). The Coolscan 5000, similar but 35mm format only, is $1150 (and in stock). These are currently the main

contenders, somewhat unfortunately. Anyway, I would not get your hopes up over the Canon.

"provide me file sizes of between 24-100mb"

Groan. First off, that's a vast, meaningless range, and without specifying file format and bit depth, it

meaninglessness *squared*. More useful numbers would be *realistic* dpi of your scanner (and 6400dpi on a sub

$200 flatbed has got to wild hyberbole) and the x and y dimensions of your image, in pixels.

I would suggest 4000dpi (real dpi, not flatbed hyperbole), per the Coolscans, is a good level for 35mm. Even

something like 2800dpi to 3200dpi is satisfactory. For image dimensions, maybe aim for 3000x2000 pixels minimum.

I think full frame 35mm scans from the 4000dpi Coolscans will be around 6000x4000 pixels, if my math is right.

My Minolta Scan Elite 5400 scans at 5400 dpi, and delivers files with max longer dimension of 7800 pixels. Once

cropped down to actual image, it's around 7200 pixels. It's out of production though, and has no support, if you could

find a used one.

Les,

Thank you very much for the great info and sample scans.

The price of the Nikon is prohibitive to me right now, however I'm not sure I wish to invest in another flatbed that potentially will not yield significant results.

I'll search for a that $1150.00 price that Mendel said exists for the Nikon.

Do you know if the Nikon 5000 will do slides, 35mm, 110 size as well as 120 film strips?

Thank You again,

Regards,

Doug