Different kind of " 5D buy now" question.

derrickdehaan

Reza, Thats an interesting point. I have not been around photography that long but its amazing to me that people who just

purchased a 40D are so in need of upgrading. I purchased mine last december so I feel I want to at least use it a few years

before I upgrade. Did people upgrade this often on film bodies? I can see very serious pro's doing it but how about those

who do it as a hobby or just some side work?

Canon could likely easily announce the 5D2 now, however were they to do that it would kill sales of the 40D and 5D. They already know it's going to start shipping at end of September so I would bet the camera is finished and starting to be mass produced in Japan as I type. Preferred buyers will have the new body in October, the rest of us not until November?

I can't see this working out any other way. And truly, go Nikon! They both inspire, thus push each other.

"Did people upgrade this often on film bodies?"

Not at all. It's different with digital.

With DSLRs the film *is* the camera. So the 5D2's film is better than all the film that came before it (10D, 20D, 40D, 5D).

For me 16MP will make for better 13x19 inch prints than the 10MP 40D does now... life's too short!

Derrick, I would advise the wait and believe that canon will have really done their homework here before releasing this model onto the market, it will boast lots of features including what many out there have been asking for a 'sensor clean' function.

What I'd like to know is when is enough going to be enough do we really need 1MP, 2MP, 5MP, 8MP,10MP, 16MP, maybe next they will be hitting us with HDS technology if they are not already (High Definition Sensors) where every image is crisp, colours perfect-

but will even that be enough before our consummer needs scream out for more.

I reckon they 'Canon' are about to announce the official release date very soon, granted that this has been anticipated before so in this case we may have to hold our breaths just that little bit longer.

But I am sure it will be worth it. ;¬)

Hu

too much made about dust removal, I have a 1Ds and it collects dust every time you snap an image, well it seems that way. A good blower, the artic brush, and swabs for those few times that you might need them, I even change the oil on my car, add memory to my computer, etc. The 5D is a very good camera and unless you do very large prints 12 megs is sufficent 24 x 16 at 240 straight out of raw on the 5D. I actually like my 1D the most and only 4 gigs.

13x19 inches at 240 dpi is 14.2 MP. Simple math. 13x19 still requires a slight crop so you lose part of the capture.

I am not saying Super B prints are not awesome from a 5D (or a 40D or even a lowly 10D), just saying you have to up-res if you require 240 dpi res. I print Super B's a lot!

ken what makes you think that I need to read, are the figures wrong for all the cameras, is CS3 wrong when it tells me the image size? Now tell me why you think, I need to read. I know what the image size says when I look. And what exactly am I going to read? I can resize and all that. make your self clear. What am I reading wrong? Is the raw program resizing the image size for the 5D and non of the others, the math according to the writer above is correct for them. don't make blanket statements, what do I need to read a book to tell me what. I do not mind learning but read and you will understand. I can say the same thing to you and it accomplishes nothing, if there is something that you can point to that I may be doing wrong say it. Don't insult my intelligence.

Ken, the math you used is number of pixels which is 6144 horizontally, that is divided by 240 which gives you the 25.6 number that CS3 is giving me, if the raw program is automatically resizing then why is it not doing the same for the others? When I open an image from my 1D I get 2464 pixel x 1648 which equals 4.0606 mega pixels. same program same computer, explain to me why my 5D is giving me 6144 x 4096 using the same program, which granted comes out to 25.165 mega pixels. Read a book does not get it. My G9 same program, same computer is 4000 x 3000 pixels which equals 12 megapixels, again why is this correct but not the one for my 5D. Again don't insult me by stating read a book, why is my program resizing only the 5D? Is there a problem with my 5D, I just bought a little over a month ago, do I need to send it to have it checked, there is nothing wrong with the images that I get from it, but I did notice that the number of images that I was getting from a 4gig card was quite a bit less then with my 1Ds. I had not paid any attention to the size as I was mostly concerned with image quality.

The 5D is 12.7 MP, has nothing to do with ACR 4.x nor CS3. You are up-rezzing in ACR when you process and open your Raws from the 5D. I heartily suggest! you get a book on ACR. Cheers. I am not a teacher but am overly familiar with ACR/Raw processing. There is not problem with your 5D, it's your use of ACR. (I am assuming you use that tool for your Raw processing?)

• 2 weeks later...

Enough about math guy's eh I mean come on as long as we get what we want as we saw it down on print the size we want, does it really matter that much over a few pixels if we achieve what we set out to do?

Ken, I understand you and know that you are a man with many, years experience and a concise understanding into not only conventional photography but with digital and its complicated Raw processes.

You must understand though that there are few with this same experience and prefer dialogue with a vet rather than being bogged down with a book where in some cases are written by techs with techs in mind.

The greatest gift we can give to one another is our knowledge, spoken as it is meant, clearly and with good intent.

Manuel,

I don't think Ken, is challenging your intellect nor trying to upset you I really believe its a simple case of crossed wires.

Looking at both your work I see great sensitivity and a high level of commitment in your fields, granted that as there are different horses for courses just as there are differences in us folk too.

My partner is also a professional photographer and is exceedingly technical, she reads every manual/guide/review whereas I read what is essential to me and then everything else is hands on, for to me photography is my life and I want to be as free as possible so approach this in a loose playful manner depending on the shoot that is!

Anyway I for one cant answer this but can say is this - If you get what it is you want from your work is that not great, I can live without not knowing why the grass is green or the sky is blue as long as it stays that way for if it changes then I'll ask Why!

I hope Derrick gets his camera but more, I hope that you both can take something positive from this experience.

Hu