Which UV filter for my 24-70/2.8 L lens?

john_lee39

I got a new canon 24-70/2.8 L lens today, I want to add an UV filter for it, I think B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Glass

Filter and HOYA 77mm Clear Pro 1 Digital Multi-Coated Glass Filter, the both is good for me, but which one is the

best? Can you tell me? Thanks!

The B+W you mentioned is not multi-coated unless it says "MRC" on it. Multi-coating reduces flare, which is what you want a protective UV filter to do. The B+W equivalent will cost more than the Hoya, but B+W's are reputed to be higher quality as well.

I don't put UV on my lens permanently, I have a non coated Canon UV Haze Filter (about $30) that I always keep in

my bag incase I'm in an extreme condition (like at the beach with a lot of sea spray, or under a water fall). I think

using a UV filter is like wearing protective goggles, we don't wear them permanently, we only wear them when we

need to like when we work with toxic chemical. Use your lens hood at all time, when you're not shooting make sure

you zoom it to 70 so the lens retracts deeply into the hood. Don't spend a huge amount of money on a UV filter,

instead spend your money on a good Circular Polarizer Filter. Just my take on UV filter.

I heard that B+W MRC filters are the best. Better constructed and offer the absolute minimal IQ degradation (made of schott glass). I therefore purchased two such filters: UV and CPL. My experience with them suggest all the above is true.

I don't have experience with Hoya pro line but users often complain that while they have very good IQ, they are very difficult to clean. I have no idea why is that but as I heard it quite often, I thought I'd pay it forward.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I have Hoya and B+W MRC, the SHMC Hoya are actually slightly better coatings than the MRC but in practice they are equivalent.

Both are optical glass, B+W are Schott and Hoya are Hoya, both are very big manufactures of bulk optical glass.

The Hoya Pro 1 Digitals are unfortunately the slightly less good HMC coating unlike the original (now discontinued) SMC Pro 1. However SHMC coatings are still available in ordinary mounts.

Another manufacturer is Heliopan. These are 8 layer a side and should in theory be better than the 5 layer a side Hoya SHMC and B+W MRC although they seem to quote similar reflectance.

Info of filters http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/LensTests/Flare/FilterData.htm

Protective filter FAQ http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/LensTests/Flare/Protective_Filter_FAQ.htm