Shooting a band performance with a D300

john_.

A friends band wants me to shoot them whilst at their cd release party. I am unaware of the lighting situation as they

have yet to book the venue where it will be at. I was just wodnering if those of you who have D300's could show me

some examples of your band photography as well as give me any tips/// thank you in advance

john

I don't have a D300 (I wish I did), but I can tell you that your choice of lenses will be critical. It seems likely (to me, anyway) that it will be a fairly dark setting, and even with the D300's high-ISO performance, you'll probably need some fast glass.

What lenses do you have?

john: I would leave everything but the 50mm and 12-24 or fisheye at home. Even f/2.8 just isn't that fast when you're dealing with stage lighting, and VR doesn't help with a band that's moving around the stage.

I've done quite a few live shows with my D200, and found that I basically just leave it cranked up to ISO 1600, shoot in shutter priority at the minimum shutter speed I'm comfortable hand-holding (usually 1/50th to 1/100th, depending on what glass I'm shooting with), and spot meter on the performers' faces. You may be able to grab a few shots with one of the mega-wide lenses for dramatic effect, but the fast prime is going to be your best friend.

john, i use the d300+17-50 combo frequently for concert shots. that little lens is great at 2.8, much better than the 50-

150 i also have. it's generally best for when you will be fairly close to the performers or the stage. that and the 70-200

and 50/1.8 should be all you need.

i also have a 12-24 (did you mean tokina? tamron doesnt make a 12-24), but at f/4 wide open, its generally too slow

for use without a flash indoors or at night and too wide for most live situations, except if your buddies with U2 and

they're playing a stadium and you want a backdrop shot of the entire crowd. same thing with the fisheye, you have to

get really really close, like right at the front of the stage or actually onstage, to make it work. those are pretty cool for

posed group still shots, however.

do you have a flash? and is flash allowed? those are questions you need to know. if you're shooting available light,

you may have to shoot wide open at high ISOs to maintain a decent shutter speed of at least 1/100-1/125, and

possibly faster if you're shooting a metal band or folks who move around a lot (with acoustic folk bands who just sit

there, you can get away with 1/30 or thereabouts). if you have a speedlight, you can go much lower in shutter speed

using rear curtain sync on the flash, say 1/4-1/30, which gives you cool motion blur with main subject still in focus if

you do it correctly, though you'll have to experiment a bit to see what works best. more importantly, with rear curtain,

you can stop down to f/4 for sharper shots. i also dial down the flash and/or bounce it; rarely do i shoot at full i-TTL.

concert lighting is real tricky as it changes frequently. for that reason auto-ISO can be a lifesaver. my tips are to try

and figure out the lighting patterns and time your shots accordingly; try to stay away from red lighting, the bane of all

concert photographers who shoot digital. oh, and try to avoid 'microphone mouth' as well.<div>00QQKC-62383984.jpg.c715011555ffcc6c5cb1d5a816964416.jpg</div>

I shoot bands in a very dark club every week with my D80. I use my Nikon Fisheye alot -- don't leave it at home.....it's a great lens for getting wide shots with an edge (assuming it's fast). I also shoot with a nikon 85mm and 50mm 1.8 alot and do manage to get some shots handholding my nikon 70-300 3.5. I shoot in shutter priority as slow as I can get it to allow light in -- sometimes I can get down to 1/10 or even 1/8.....but that's with a steady hand. with the 300 and higher ISO possibilities, you should be fine.

Get there early to do some test shots for lighting and to pick you spot......and if possible, get to know the music so you can anticipate moves and instrument solos.....

and enjoy!

John: I shoot concerts, club bands, festivals, etc. with and without press/stage passes. Most of the time with.

The key is expression obviously so you need to be able to get tight at times for facial and body language. I

don't use a flash, but do pack a similar load of lenses: Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 17-55mm, 50/1.4, and 80-200mm/2.8.

The other two things for me that are indispensable are my Lowepro Slingshot cam bag and a very light Manfrotto

monopod. This allows me speed to change lenses if if I doing a one cam bod shoot and the monopod steadies my

shot. I do not use the mono on all lenses, but you might want to on your 70-200mm. This will allow you to get

back a bit if you are on stage to grab some great angles and tight shots.

Since you do not know the lighting situation, you are kinda in the dark right now. Yeah, that was stupid.

However, if the band you are shooting does have full or even a less expensive theatrical lighting system, most of

the time, you will have plenty of light, but it will change, hence the auto ISO is a great suggestions as is

shooting in shutter priority if you like. I shoot manual, but I am fast at it and love the allowances of light

variances.

This shot was with the 80-200mm at ISO 800 on a monopod far stage left with a mediocre lighting system. Was nice

to be out of the way and have a clean shot to get various band members.

Yeah, and get there early. Early enough to get candid shot of the band getting the sound set, prepping, general

band goofing off before a show and same afterward.

Have fun.<div>00QQLn-62391784.jpg.f8011ebdc72fca3c79f702d698b5497a.jpg</div>

On the job in NW Florida at a beach club. Late evening, No lights. D200; Sigma 10-20mm doing some promo shots for a club artist who does a solo act. Had to up the ISO to 800, but with a little NN the shot came out fine. Just came back from this shoot and somebody has to do it. . .<div>00QQMJ-62397584.jpg.81728be6a58a9694a58d7900a786ea33.jpg</div>

I just shot a local band the other day. With good stage lighting (gelled) you can easily get great shots at ISO 800. IF there

aren't stage lights (spots or whatever) and it's indoors or night time you will NEED a good flash.

Regarding lenses; it depends on the venue and access, but on the D300, I use the 17-55mm lens the most, followed by the

70-200mm. Light levels at concerts are generally rather low, most of the time I end up with ISO between 1000 and 2000

and shutter speed in the 1/20s to 1/60s range - not really stopping action. When shooting on behalf of the main act, you

can always try to ask the light director beforehand for specific changes. There's no guarantee, though, and just asking for

"more light" usually just results in harsher shadows.<div>00QQO2-62415684.jpg.bcae753dc62e85f665f866ddd98e72f5.jpg</div>