Choosing a Flash ( Canon vs. Metz vs. Sigma)

sai

I'm looking for a flash for amateur purposes. I don't need a Master flash so lets keep the EX580 out of the

question (Although the strobe function is tempting).

I'm looking at the Canon 430EX, the Metz 48 AF-1and the Sigma EF530 Super.

If I'm not mistaken, they all zoom automatically, have more or less the same power, all bounce and swivel.

I'll be using it for portraits and probably for macro shots with a shoe cord (DotLine I think).

Any advantages on any of these?

The Metz says wireless triggered via Camera...

thanks!

I would go to a store where you could use each one. They probably all have different controls so get the one you feel most comfortable with.

"The Metz says wireless triggered via Camera..." that is, if your camera supports that function.

What is your camera?

No Canon EOS cameras can wirelessly control a remote flash without a master controller flash in the hotshoe. They

can trigger an optical slave of course, but that's different. Some Sony cameras (and I think some Nikons) can

remotely control a second flash using the flash built into the camera as a master controller.

Flash systems are complex. I'd go with a 430EX for maximum compatibility and minimum headaches.

>> The Metz says wireless triggered via Camera...

IF that can be done (which I'm not sure), it can also be a nuisance. Have you ever shot in an environment when there are other lights flashing (e.g. from the D.J., from other photographer's flashes etc.)?

>> I'd go with a 430EX for maximum compatibility and minimum headaches.

Me too. I only had Canon flashes (420EX, 550EX, and now 580EX) and was never tempted to buy a third party one. Also, if I am not mistaken, only Canon flashes allow for AF assist for the peripheral AF points. For me that is very important as I use them frequently.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Just to throw an option at ya. On Camera flashes are IMO are terrible for portrait work. For the same money I would get the JTL mobiflash I think it is $260 with the Quantum compatible battery. Get yourself a nice large umbrella and a reflector and you are ready to take portrait shots. On camera flash even with a bracket will make ugly shadows around your subject.

I echo what Bob Atkins said. I have a Metz 54MZ4 that I use with a Canon 5d. I got the Metz because there are adapters for lots of

camera brands, and I wanted to also use it with a Pentax 645. But flashes, particularly with TTL functions, are unbelievably complex. The

savings weren't worth it. The Metz directions make my hair hurt every time I try to read them. It is hard to figure out what's really

happening. And, the English is pretty much a literal translation of German, which doesn't help much either.

I'd say forget the Sigma. No real good reason to consider it.

For convenience get the 430, it's simple easy an works pretty well.

If consistency and accuracy of exposure are a priority, Metz wins every time. Their auto sensors, metering, are just superior. I still use 3 old metz 45s from the 70s because they are so much more consistent than my 580. Metz does make camera specific modules for ETTL functioning on Canon and whatever they call it on Nikon. So, I suppose they could have a wireless flavor of the STE2 as well.