40D issue pics too dark

todd_torfin

I have two 40D's one I bought last September and takes great pics. I just bought another one as a second camera

and I have not been able to get pics to turn out very well. Everything is too dark. I take the same picture with the

same lens on my old 40d and then put the lens on my new 40D and the pic from the new 40D is way dark. Pic take

from the same spot with the same lighting. Has anyone experienced this and what do I do to fix this. I am going to

call B&H and return it for a different one because I think I got a lemon.

Thanks,

Todd

ttorfin@nbitnernet.com

> what do I do to fix this <

I am not doubting you, but I do suggest you investigate and confirm that ALL the shooting parameters on both camera bodies are the same.

As one example, confirm you do not have any exposure compensation set.

Perhaps if you post `A` and `B` examples, with EXIF.

WW

In Manual mode, set each camera to the exact same settings for ISO, aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation. Determine these settings from a shot taken by the "good" body, which resulted in a well exposed image. With the exact same settings on both bodies, using the same lens swapped over for a shot on each one, taking an image of the exact same scene in the same light should yield very similar results. If this is not the case, send the "bad" body back for an exchange.

I have never had two bodies meter exactly the same, ever. In the film days I "calibrated" my bodies placing a piece of tape

with the amount I had to tweak ISO for accurate exposure. Most of my Nikon bodies overexposed .5 to 1 stop while my

Canon bodies underexposed .3 to .5 stop. Of course the ISO trick won't work with digital. You have to remember to ride the

EC.

As for the fix, it's a pretty simple adjustment for Canon Service to calibrate your meter. But, yeah, I have forgotten to zero

out the EC many times myself. So check that first...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I had the same issue with my 40D, and it turns out the exposure compensation (as another poster advised) was the culprit. It has happened a number of times, without me actually dialing it down. I am not sure how it happens - possibly when carrying the camera on my shoulder, or maybe just inadvertently pressing the right series of buttons to dial it down. Either way, I am now really careful to look at the compensation settings.

Another simple test would have the same lens on both of them, and set both to the same Basic Zone, ie landscape. Both should have the same readout info in their viewfinder, and their histograms of the image taken should be the same .

One more thought, are both using Firmware Ver. 1.0.8?

> Maybe you could tell me what all my custom settings should be. <

It doesn`t matter it is a side by side test: in fact it would be a more comprehensive (set of) side by side tests, if they were done multiple times, with various Custom Settings: but ensuring the same Custom Setting is on each camera, for each individual side by side comparison.

WW

Todd, it looks like you're veering off track. Do you want to solve your problem or not? If so, forget about custom settings and the like. Follow the advice given above as to running a side by side test using the same lens ensuring the same ISO, shutter speed and aperture is set in M mode. Sample to sample variation in terms of the resultant exposure for the exact same settings on each of your bodies should be minimal, so ignore this. Do this and inform us of the result. You did post asking for advice on how to solve this particular problem, right? That's what we're trying to help you do. To solve a problem you have to follow a logical step by step approach, otherwise you will just drift around like a ship without a rudder.

I had a problem with my 40D while using the kit 28-135mm lens. About 25% of the photos with that lens would be very, very dark - maybe as much as 3 stops. It was particularly bad on monochromatic scenes like mostly sky. I did not have a problem with my other three lenses under the same conditions. I tried everything and was seriously considering selling the lens. I downloaded the latest firmware version for the 40D and have not had a malfunction since. The fixes described in the firmware download did not mention the 28-135mm lens but something worked in my case. I shot about 200 pictures on Saturday and everyone of them was excellent. I don't know if my problem is now fixed or whether it will help your problem but I have not had a single problem since I upgraded the firmware.