Olympus E520 w/14-45 f/3.5 zoom lens

bonnie_gordon

Has anyone used this new model Olympus camera yet ?Was given this as a gift right before trip to Yellowstone

Park recently and was extremely disappointed with the images. Also brought along my old reliable Nikon D80. Oly

pictures were not sharp and looked almost artificial. They had no "pop" to them; very little contrast and dull to say

the least . I have had 8 years of experience with digital photography, and am quite sure I set up the camera properly.

It is my first experience with 4/3's photography. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I know this is a long shot and

difficult at best without seeing the images. Is ther a special way to set up these cameras? Perhaps I'm using the IS

improperly...HELP

i have the camera and it took me a little while to get used to it. i dont use the vivid mode because its too vivied. i use natural. it does some really good b&w. i set my WB using a kodak gray card (white side and then flip it over for the exposure setting) i am getting more realistic colors than ever before. for portraits though the skin tones look pastelish (at least when i first started, now they look normal) as for sharpness, i will post a photo i shot with the 50mm f2 @ f2<div>00QPlw-62199584.jpg.8ed266e0a137fa79373fa87c986b5eb2.jpg</div>

I assume you shoot your images in the Olympus raw format? I have had the Olympus Evolt E-500 for three+ years; and while the images straight out of the camera may be a little flat and blase; after a turn in Adobe's Bridge and then PS CS3, I am usually able to make an image I like. I do not use any of the camera modes other than Manual, Aperture, and Shutter priorities. I'd ditch the kit 14-45mm lens asap, and acquire the Zuiko 14-54mm, it is terrific glass! Any image from a dSLR is going to need a certain amount of sharpening prior to finishing the image. Stay with the Oly for a bit; it is a good camera. You just need to explore its ups and downs. I hope this helps. Cheers! Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...