good wide angle lens for general use

peter_howard2

Hi, I'm new to photography so please excuse me if I seem thick - truth is when it comes to photography I AM! I'm a

senior who is now able to take up a dream held for many years but WOW it now seems so complicated. On advice

I've purchased a Nikon D60 with the 18 - 55mm Zoom VR lens; I'm exchanging the 55-200 for a 70-300mm VR Zoom

as I hope to go on Safari late this year. Now I would like a wide angle to get some of those "special" senic sunsets.

Can anyone help with some SIMPLE advice please?

Strange as it may seem, scenic photography is done with 18/55 lens.

Wide lenses are made to emphasise the size of near objects compared to far objects. As you try to capture more in the frame, objects get small.

I have a 12/24 with is probably the best wide lens available. If I stand in one corner of a room at 12 mm, it will almost take in the full room. Most scenics do not have interesting elements over that wide a span, and if they are there , they will necessarily be ve very small,

Having done landscapes for 50 years, the most usefull focal lengths are 24 to 70 on a D60 camera, 35/100 for a 35mm film camera.

Hi Peter. My lenses cover 10 to 210mm. The one that makes it on to the camera LEAST often is the 10-20mm zoom. Ronald's advice is spot-on in my experience. With your budget I think you are covered. If you are going on safari, take plenty of memory cards and sufficient card cases and shoot RAW. Here in the UK, www.7dayshop.com is about the best source. I'd go for between 6 and 10 4gb SDHC cards - (probably Sandisc Ultra 2 at 10.99 for 4gb if you are not fussed about frame rates, although I use Dane-Elec class 4 cards at 7.99 for a 4gb card) - depending on the length of the safari.

My other thought was the 50mm f1.8 lens for low light, but this would not autofocus on the D60. I still think you are well covered on the lens front. Personally, I'd take a 18-200VR lens, but it's out of budget for you and you also have the longer lengths better covered by having the two lenses. I'll stick to my original answer - get lots of memory cards and shoot loads! Oooh, a couple of books on composition and exposure would also be a good move.

Hi Peter, it will not autofocus with the D60 and only buys you about 2/3 of a stop over the kit lens. On my D80 at the moment, I'm using a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. That will autofocus with the D60 (if you get the latest model with the micromotor). Over the last two years of using a DSLR, I've never really found the slower amateur lenses to be a problem. However, I'm shooting a wedding in September & decided I 'needed' the f2.8 zoom (which in reality I do!).

Of course in the old days when we bought a camera, it usually came with a 50mm standard lens. The equivalent today would be a 35mm on a DX body - but again there will be autofocusing issues on the D60.

When I went to Zimbabwe a few years ago (before things got REALLY bad and my GB pound bought less than 100 Zimbabwe dollars), I took my F70 and 28-105 zoom lens. That equates to 18-70mm on the D60. I never found myself needing anything wider.

Your best bet is to play with what you have & shoot as much as you can. Then analyse where the weaknesses are before making any buying decisions.

I think a 10-20 Sigma would be a great addition to your kit, but Ronald is so right. I can't BELIEVE how many landscapes I

take at 24mm, which is cool, because it's the point of no distortion on my zoom. But wide and ultra-wide is a lot of fun for a

lot of things. A little out of your range new, but you should stretch and get one. A safari is not an everyday occurrence.

The Nikon 12/24 is best People like the Tokina wide also. Some are happy with the 10/20 Sigma. I tried one and did

not like it. I prefer not to use third party lenses form anybody.

My 12/24 works one my D40 and D200. It will work on the D60 as a fully functioning lens.

There is a 14mm Tamron also. I consider it too costly.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

Check Photozone for tests.

Thanks very much for all your help and advice guys. I can see I'm going to have to give this more serious thought -

but now it will be based on sound advice. I've got to go now cos my Horlicks is beginning to "kick in" and I shut

down pretty quickly these days. I'll check this forum again tomorrow though just in case. . . . thanks once again I

appreciate your patience.

Regards, Pete.

Your money might be better spent on a class or more cards and batteries if you plan to be out a long time. You should be able to do a lot with your current kit. I suggest you explore what you have completely before you purchase another lens. A polarizing filter may come in handy for cutting glare and enhancing colors.

Hi Guys, Morning again, and thanks to Carl and Jim for your input. Carl, I've taken your and Simon's advice and purchased two more 4gb cards (£15-00 for two (Transcend Class 6) on Amazon) and oh yes, Horlicks . . . well its an old bed time drink here in the UK - meant to help you sleep etc.- not that I need that too much, I seem to achieve that status with incredible ease - especially during the daytime!! Anyway thanks to all - I'll still monitor this forum it really is great. Bye.