Maybe Four Thirds System digital rangefinders one day?

gwebster

I've read a lot of threads on this concept, and it's amazing how it has gone from a general news release about a new format

to Leica introducing one at Photokina in September with adapters for M lenses.

<p>It just looks like a step up camera for those currently using fixed lens P&S.

<p>Evolution happens really fast on the Internet. :)

Warren, that is a great idea. If manual focus rangefinders were not possible due to format constraint they can always build fixed-lens

bodies, like the old Olympus 35 RC. However I doubt Oly and Pana will be interested in it, because it does not fully comply with "four-

thirds" standard, which covers lens mount dimension as well as sensor size.

Warren, Olympus got started with miniature cameras LONG before the OM1. The Pen pocket cameras are actually what got Olympus started as a real company and made their first real profits. I think of the Micro 4/3 as more of a nod to the legacy of the Pen cameras than anything else. Olympus wanted to make a cheap, easy to use pocket camera with the quality and simplicity of a Leica. Hopefully the Micro cameras will live up to that. As far as comments about an RF camera.... why not? This is the future, there is no reason why the RF system would have to be all optical and mechanical... a system using a mini video camera could project a digital RF patch into an optical viewfinder, as well as display that RF patch into the main live-view LCD. If anything, this system has the possibility of trumping the standard of Leica mechanical RF systems by adding zoomable optical view finder with a zoomable RF. In addition to that, there seems to be plenty of room between the Micro 4/3's body and the Leica M mount to create an adapter with a cam sensor and a ring to set the focal length of the lens. The two functions could automatically coordinate with the electronic RF system and add AF confirm to Leica lenses. That makes for some pretty exciting and potentially affordable possibilities.

There is no way this will ever be a digital rangefinder, not unless Leica chooses to make a variant of the basic m4:3 camera, and that is highly unlikely since they would have to make coupled lenses for a few new lenses, and that ain't gonna happen. This will simply be a small digital camera with a big LCD screen on the back that relies on auto focus and uses the 4:3 sensor. Get used to it.

A four thirds digital rangefinder camera probably could be made. It would most likely carry its own line of miniature

lenses. It might not be an M-mount camera. It would be an oddity that appealed to a segment of RF market--already a

specialized segment of the camera market. It was probably be fairly expensive.

These are a few reasons why I do not think it will be made. In fact, I believe that the Four Thirds DSLR camera's life is

going to be fairly short. What will kill it is miniaturization and the full frame sensor. It already possible to produce fairly

light and not quite compact DSLRs (Canon and Nikon). Soon Leica will follow suit with an expensive DSLR that will be

more than full-frame. We can expect full frame sensors in lighter and cheaper cameras. The 1.5 cameras will be the

size of Olympus OMs and Pentax MEs and MXs. In the next decade Leica might indeed make a full frame M9.

Eventually the Four Thirds systems will go the way of the Olympus Pens and the whole assortment of half-frame

cameras that were popular eons ago. Too bad. It's a great concept.

• 7 months later...
<p>Oh Alex you Poor misguided soul. I bet your kicking yourself for that statment. The Four-third camera Lines are stronger thain ever and with the Micro four thirds line theres no chance its dying out any time soon. The G-1 is your answer to the digital ranger finders. Even Leicaphiles are turning to the new G-1 to put their Leica lenses on insted of the older les mega pixel and way more expensive Digital M cameras. And next year Samsung's APS-C 'hybrid' system to rival Micro Four Thirds, will come out. I'm sure most of us legasy lens users will flock to it, especially the Leica lens owners.</p>

• 5 months later...