Should I upgrade my old Sigma wide angle or buy new Sigma?

amanda_b.

I have an older Sigma wide-angle lens that I used to use for my film Digital Rebel. I switched to digital a few years

ago and have been using that wide angle lens for a while with no problems. Recently the drive gear went bad on it

and I have a quote of $200 from Sigma to repair it. Also I learned that this lens is not "compatible" with digital SLRs

like the new wide angles are, but it's only $10 to upgrade it.

I use my wide-angle A LOT....my question is, should I spend the $200 plus to repair and upgrade it or spend the

almost $600 on a new, already compatible lens? Money is an issue, but I'll spend the $600 if it's a vast difference...

Anyone ever upgrade their wide-angle like this? After doing so, is there a big difference between the ugraded lens and

a new one? Just wondering what all the upgrade really entails and if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance!

What camera are you using? If it's something with an APS-C sized ("cropped") sensor, then that's really not very wide at all. 17mm would be just kinda-wide. Has that focal length been treating you pretty well? Did you find yourself using the wider end of that more, or the longer end?

You have some great choices out there (the Tokina 11-16/2.8 might really talk to you, if you need that extra speed), or the very nice Sigma 10-20 HSM. That's when wide really starts to act wide on such cameras, and your creative options really expand. And for less than $600!

The 17mm end of your old lens is only about a 27mm-equivalent on your digital 15x22mm sensor camera. If you use that a lot, you might well appreciate the even wider 10-20mm Sigma. You can buy a new, image-stabilized 18-55mm EFS lens (reviewed rather well) for rather less than $200, so I can't see much advantage to repairing the Sigma.

I don't remember encountering your Sigma 17-35 before, perhaps it is a gem? If not, go for the new Canon kit lens.

<b>Edit:</b> I do a lot of house/architecture photography and interiors. That's what I use the wide angle for mostly.

The lens I was looking at was the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM....some of you are saying there are better, less expensive, and "more wide" lenses out there?

I own the Sigma 10-20 and was also at one point thinking about the Canon 10-22. If you're trying to save some dollars, there is absolutely no reason to not get the Sigma. The image quality is very very good in the vast majority of useful conditions, the build quality is also great. I'm quite sure that the people that say it's pointless to buy this lens and you need to get the Canon haven't actually used it.