Nikon D700 with 14-24mm?

stuart_bellamy

I am looking to upgrade my D80 to a D700 and because I shoot mainly landscapes and panoramics, I was looking at the 14-24mm 2.8 lens

to be my main setup. I dont know much about the mechanics of lenses and optics with sensor sizes but my question is whether the 14-

24mm will be a true 14-24mm on a D700 with no crop factor? Also using ND grads to balance the light, is there any solution to the fact

that the 14-24mm has no filter thread?

Maybe take a look at my photos and let me know if you think I am making the right choice with the lens and body. Apprecaite any

feedback, thanx.

Stuart

The 14-24 will be a "true" 14-24 lens on a D700 - no crop to worry about.

Being that your gallery contains a lot of wide angle compositions, I'd say you could make good use of the 14-24mm lens.

As for Graduated NDs, using a little gaff tape to attach them to the hood may work. I don't know if vignetting would enter the game, though.

It should work great with no crop factor, you get a real 14-24mm's.

You cant really use ND filters, you would need huge ones anyway. The solution is Photoshop.

I think this set up will suit you well, you may even be able to shoot panoramas in a single shot then crop at 14mm.

The 14-24mm/f2.8 AF-S is a very extreme wide angle lens. It can be great for certain indoor shots.

For landscape, I recommend the 17-35mm/f2.8 instead; it has a much more useful zoom range and of course you can use front filters. At least for most people, the 17-35 should be a much better landscape lens, but of course there are always exceptions.

I have tried to shoot some landscape with the 14-24mm on a D3. 14mm gives you so much foreground that it is difficult to use.

ND grad can be used but you need to handhold it, like in the good old Galen Rowell days.

The typical Cokin P series will not cover it fully. Even the Z-Pro series will barely cover the 14mm end of the zoom. You will need the X-Pro series to be on the safe side.

There are no screw threads on this lens for the rounded screwed on ND filters.

Arthur, if you hold an ND grad in front at 14mm, it become very easy to have your hand or the edge of the filter inside the frame.

And if you don't use it at 14, 15mm, you might as well get the 17-35mm as I mentioned before.

The 14-24 will likely be the next lens I buy, but the 17-35 will remain to be my primary landscape lens.

As Arthur has already mentioned, hand holding a filter is a breeze. I no longer use the Cokin system that I have.

One other thing that I've been messing around with of late is to use a standard grad ND as a reverse grad. Of course I need to bracket the shots since the bottom part of one shot is deep in the shadows, and then layer them in PS.

Anyone know why reverse grads are so hard to find? I know about the Singh-Rays but they are fairly expensive.

Arthur and others,

I recently purchased the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 lens and realize it has no filter threads. I did look at Arthur's Cokin X

pro recommendation and the Cokin site shows the holder at 130mm width with diameter ring up to 118mm. Would

one still have to hand hold the filter of this type? Also, not to sound stupid, but would you hold it as close to the hood

as possible, and by one edge at the bottom, or what, I've never hand held a filter.

Thank you,

Debra

Thanx guys for the responses, I never considered the 17-35mm. I see that the 14-24mm and 17-35mm are almost the

same price. Will check it out. What is the difference between the 2 lenses in terms of image quality? That is my main

concern.

Also I dont like to hold the filter too much and wouldn't do multiple exposures and blend them together as I think it is much

more realistic to get it right on one shot, plus I hate doing too much Photoshop.

You can find a mint 17-35 for around $1k like i did. The 14-24 is considerably more expensive but i need it for interiors.

You've received excellent advice above and the zoom range of the 17-35 is better for landscapes as Shun mentions. Keep in mind that

17mm on FX is wider than 12mm on DX and the IQ of the 17-35 is great. Nice color and contrast throughout it's range. The 14-24 is the

elite wide angle zoom with improved sharpness corner to corner but it comes at a price.

I have both and love them each. I just got my D700 yesterday and will put it through it's paces with both lenses.

Debra,

The normal way of using a Cokin system is to buy the adapter (which is round on one end) which screws on the filter thread of a lens. The other end has 2 grooves which allows you to slide in the rectangular filter. Since the 14-24mm zoom has no filter thread, you cannot use the system in the proper way. Yes, you still have to handhold it.

Either hold it at one corner with your thumb and your other fingers or some people just hold the edge. And, yes, lean the filter against the hood. Obviously, this can *only* be done on tripod.