Photoshop CS3 Filter Gallery

I know that there is a simple answer. I just can't find it. Just acquired CS3. I shoot in Nikon NEF. I am trying to

access the "Filter Gallery", but it is grayed out. I've tried several file formats and layers. Nothing. And of course I

can't get an answer on the Adobe web site.

Someone PLEASE HELP.

Help, I'm having a similar problem. There's a lot I don't understand about CS3, but the worst of it is that several months

ago I lost the Lens Correction Filter. Lost it entirely, it's not even grayed out. This was the No. 1 reason I bought CS3, at

punishing expense. I used it successfully for a few months, then it simply wasn't there.

Acting on this advice, I tried a fresh JPG in 8, 16 and 32-bit. At 8 bits/channel, the only filters I see under Distort are

Diffuse Glow, Glass and Ocean Ripple. Converting to 16-bit, there are no Distort filters shown at all. I tried 32

bits/channel and saw the same.

Right now I'm so frustrated about the complexity and illogic I see in CS3 that I feel a rant coming on. As a Mac user, I

admire simple software that works smoothly. But the folks who engineered Windows ought to tip their hat to Adobe's

CS3 crew- they've taken obscurity and feature bloat to a whole new level.

Maybe I should just write off my investment in CS3 and buy Elements 6? That rankles. My next post here will ask what

non-Adobe software can give me non-destructive editing, lens and perspective correction, and a decent RAW conversion

on KM files. IPhoto does every other thing I want but those, simply and consistently.

John, for $15 you can purchase PTLens, an awesome plugin that achieves better lens correction than the default PS tool. I am not associated with PTLens, I'm just a happy user :-)

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Best 15 bucks I ever invested. Thanks to PTLens, I can now use my kit lens at 18mm without worrying about that horrible barrel distortion.