Montana to Salt Lake via Yellowstone

walterh

Hello I will be in Montana in the Big Sky resort for a week (working) and will have a few days of free time in

the following week starting September 12th.

On my way in I will drive from Salt Lake city to Big sky and will fly back from there at the end of the trip.

Now Yellowstone is just South of Big Sky and I will not miss it but a quick check on the internet shows no room

available (not surprising). I could stay in Big Sky for the remaining time and check out the local area but a

stay in Yellowstone is just too tempting.

So the question is should I avoid Yellowstone because there will be still too many tourist around or will they

just be leaving? Unfortunately I do not know if I will have recovered well from some hiking problem and may not

be able to hike for more than one hour on a trail or very strenuous hikes.

Any hints to still have a chance to overnight in or near(-er) the park (no camping gear on this trip since it is

business :-( and luggage is limited). Or is my best chance to stay in Big sky and take the drive in and out

every day?

I have been in Yellowstone twice for a week camping (and in good hiking condition^^). So i am not completely new

to the place (might even know 2% already ^^).

Any other recommendation or alternatives will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Walter

I'd be surprised if there were no rooms available in West Yellowstone - although in park lodges may be booked or starting to close for the season. If none there, also consider Jackson or the Grand Tetons area as well. Signal Mountain Lodge in Grant Tetons is on the lake and very close to Oxbow Bend and other extremely beautiful areas.

Craig has pretty much said it all.

I also vote for looking in West Yellowstone. I've stayed at the Brandin' Iron - older, nothing fancy, but clean, well equipped, plenty of space, and really friendly people. And W Yellowstone is immediately outside the west entrance to the park. You'll be driving thru it if you decide to stay at Big Sky. Use Google to search for lodging there - there's lots, and your schedule is after school starts, so the pressure should be off for motel space. If you stay or travel thru W Yellowstone, I can recommend the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center enough - it's a fabulous place and offers unbelievable shooting opportunities.

BTW, the trip from/to Big Sky has it's benefits - moose, elk, bighorn sheep along the road.

The Teton area is also a good suggestion. An exceptional place in its own rite and an easy drive to the south entrance to Yellowstone. Jackson is a bit farther from Yellowstone, but puts you thru more of the Tetons on the way.

Looks like no real bad choices to me. Have a great time.

Thanks for the info so far. Good to know that school starts already at the time. Yes it will be a new experience not to camp in a NP. I just realized that I never stayed in or near a NP in a hotel but always camped. I should get prepared and at least get some charcoal to be able to use a day use grill area to get some food^^.

I emailed some hotels/motels in West Yellowstone including the ones you recommended. So it sounds the best place to be really is within the NP rather than visit some other places nearby?

I remember the Tetons as overwhelming in spring when wildflowers are in bloom. There my only choice to stay must be Jackson that I remember as very loud and touristy and will try to avoid.

Just a thought, you didn't mention the Lamar Valley area of NE Yellowstone. It is surely the best for wildlife if that's what you want. I also has some great hiking/camping areas but stay clear of the bears!! We stayed in Cooke City and drove in each day. The Super 8 (yeah, I know but it's CHEAP, the breakfasts are good and it's very close to the park, see tripadvisor.com for hints... Earthman is me..)

See the shots on my page for examples... these are mostly for the family, you will do better.

Steve good advice. Thank you. Nice images on you pn-web pages. Do you have any recommendation for watching the

pelicans? I am very fond of these birds and was a bit disappointed last time that I saw only very few and only

from far away on the river. You seemed to get closer than I did when I was there. I know they travel a lot so is

September a good time?

At present it looks like I will stay in west Yellowstone if the motels get the booking organized^^. That is a

good starting point.

Walter thanks for the kind remarks.

The pelican shots were from Fishing Bridge as were the "beaver shots" and the falcon.

West Yellowstone is ok BUT... the BISON JAMS can add an hour in and out. After sampling many of the lodges in and around the park we all agreed that Canyon Village was the best and very well located. Try to get the newer (I think it was the P section) where you have half of a duplex. VERY quiet and well done.

Our stay in West Yellowstone was at the One Horse Inn. It's a small family run operation. An equally good place would be the Alpine Inn or Lazy G. See tripadvisor for more notes.

I don't know where you are flying in/out of but again.. the bison seem to love to roam that road and folks just don't know how to handle the beasts. They will sit and ogle them when they are in the opposite lane and cork the road both ways! I just drive right up to them (rental car with deductible coverage for minor scratches...) and they move. It's just like herding cattle. After a few encounters with these nomadic pot-roasts it gets boring.

I assume you are doing your own hotel booking etc. It's way too easy to have some naive agent do it.

email me at nationalbird3@gmail.com and I'll send you detailed itinerary along with some other hints we learned like the bike rentals at Old Faithful etc.