Upcoming Football Season

preston_harper

I am getting ready for the upcoming football season and need some suggestions. I will be putting my camera on

a monopod and need a head that will easily and quickly allow me to move from horizontal to vertical. Can

someone suggest a somewhat inexpensive head and possible a monopod as well (I already have a monopod ut

could probably use an upgade).

Cheers

Being football, if you need a monopod, it probably means that you'll be using a telephoto lens. If that's the case, then I suggest mounting the monopod right on to the lens' built-in tripod collar. Keep the tripod collar untightened and you can quickly twist back and forth between horizontal and vertical format.

On the other hand, if your telephoto lens doesn't have a tripod collar, then it most likely means the lens is small and light enough for hand holding and therefore I would suggest skipping the monopod altogether.

As Wilson says, any lens that might benefit from using a monopod is designed and supplied with a collar. I would go as far

as to say that in my opinion only a 400 2.8 and above really requires the use of a monopod. Unless you are trying to

create certain special effects, you will be using a shuttter speed fast enough to stop action, which by definition will be fast

enough to stop any camera shake from hand holding.

Not being anywhere as strong as Neil, I have never shot football--or any other sport--with my 300 2.8 without a monopod. Many high school

games are played at night under poor lighting conditions where a high ISO is necessary to get a shutter speed fast enough to freeze action.

Hi Preston ... I have a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. I shoot a lot of football ... mainly high school games. I use a Bogen-Manfrotto 681B Monopod with a quick release Bogen/Manfrotto 234RC head. I have to say it is extremely sturdy and very convenient.

I agree with Barry and Wilson. But it really depends on the lens you plan to mount on said monopod.

I wouldn't put my 80-200 f2.8 on the monopod wth collar, but certainly do mount my 300/2.8 on it. There is no wqay i could handhold for any amount of time a 300/2.8 and get any good results while shooting sports. I would mount the foot/rotating collar right to the monpod without any head on it and just swivel the lens.

I should qualify my answer. If I was shooting a sport which required me to shoot from a standing position (although, off

hand, I can't think of any) then I would use a pod with a 300 2.8 (but certainly not with a 70-200) as it would get tiring very

quickly. Shooting football (soccer) from a seated position, as you do, the left hand supporting the lens, your left elbow

naturally rests on your left thigh. This provides far better support than a monopod, allows greater manoeuvrability and, with

practice and anticipation, it is just as quick to jump between horizontal and vertical formats.

If using two bodies with the 300 and a short for goalmouth action, then I would mount the 300 on a pod, mainly because

you can then quickly drop the 300 against your shoulder when switching to the camera with the shorter lens.

All of the previous answers have merit. An "upgrade" depends on how much money you want to spend for the type

of camera/equipment you have. Don't skimp if you can afford not to. Make sure your camera/lens is not too heavy

for the mono/unipod. Depending on which part of the country you are in, I'd go to a speciality (or "super") photo

supply store or better, if you have the time, order online from a choice of many different vendors. The bottom line

though is quality versus $$$. I'll be looking to see some of your shots. . .I know it'll be fun getting them.