info on 6 x 7 's . . .

chrematist_m

I am interested in buying a 6 x 7. Are there any out there that function mechanically close to nikon f - series 35mm? I am in particular curious whether there are any which can be motorised and have interchangeable lenses?

<p>

thanks,

<p>

dcl

It looks like you need to do a little research. This is a big question. Medium format cameras with interchangeable lens are many. Here is a few SLR's:

1- Pentax 6x7

2- Pentax 645

3- Bronica - various models

4- Mamiya 645

5- Mamiya GS-1

6- Fuji

7- Hasselblad - various models

8- Rollei - various models

8- And many others

<p>

The Pentaz 67 comes closest to handling like a Nikon - but not really!

The Hasselblad and a few others have motor drives. Very expensive.

Medium format systems easily run into the thousands of dollars. Even tens of thousands of dollars. It's no place for the casual photographer unless you buy a used twin lens refles, like the Yashicamat 124G. Then it's fun AND cheap. You just are very limited. I suggets you visit the BHphotovideo.com. They have a complete listing.

<p>

Steve

Mamiya 645 has lens mount most similar to Nikon...as for 6x7...not sure any of them come even close. None are readily handholdable, though you'd have better luck with rangefinders. Motorising does not speed up frame rate to much past 1fps, though it does add instant mirror return to the likes of Hasselblad 503CX...

<p>

Oleg

ddb.com/volkstudio (work)

ddb.com/olegv (NEW portraits and nudes)

The other answers to this question seem to have missed the point

that the original person wanted a 6x7 camera. This limits the

choice considerably, and rules out a number of manufacturers

including Hasselblad and Rollei.

<p>

If you need a motor drive you are even more limited. The

mamiya RB67 and RZ67 take motors, but I'm not certain if the

Bronica GS-1 or Pentax 6x7 do - someone else may confirm that.

I use tha Mamiya 7 which is by far the easiest to handhold, but

it doesn't have a motor, and neither does the Fuji rangefinder,

but that also doesn't have interchangeable lenses either. I think

your choice is very limited...!

<p>

Simon.

It depends which aspect of a Nikon F series you are after. All 6x7's reflex cameras have interchangable viewfinders, but none are really practical for handheld use (the Pentax looks a bit like an old Nikon F, but seems to be let down by mirror and shutter vibration that prevent handholding at medium shutter speeds). The Mamiya 7 means that you lose the facility for a motor drive, and reflex viewing, but gain in managable hand-holding.

<p>

Your query was directed at 6x7 format, but really the closest thing to 35mm style handling are the 645 cameras with motordrive and prism finder, if you can work with 6x6 then the Rollei or Bronica are also quick to use, but considerably heavier than 645.

For someone familiar with the Nikon F, FTN, Nikkormat, etc, the Pentax 67 sytem will seem similar. Of course, the P67 weighs only a "little" more than a Nikon! In most other respects, the P67 functions very similarly to a manual focus, manual exposure 35mm camera. Moreover, the P67 and its lenses are not so terribly expensive, especially when purchased used. The P67 can be handheld by an experienced photographer who knows how to brace him/herself. I personally would not recommend handholding the camera at shutter speeds less than 1/125 (with lenses >165mm). Holding the P67 with a full-size professional flash (e.g. the pentax AF400t) is an experience (an aerobic one), particularly if you also are carrying a lead-acid battery (Quantum) on a shoulder strap. I doubt that a motorized P67 could be used for anything other than weight training, and, in any case, I am not aware that such a motor drive exists. The P67 lenses (as has been previously noted) are generally excellent, and I am particularly pleased with the 55mm f4 and 165 f2.8.

• 2 weeks later...

There are none that handle like a 35mm, however re-reading your

question, you state 'function mechanically close'. In terms of

function you'll find a lot of the 6x7 cameras on the market easy

to use if you can use a manual 35mm Nikon.

<p>

I've just moved up from an F series Nikon (albeit the lowly F301)

to a Mamiya RZ67. This camera's big, and if you're a masochist

you can load it up with a motor drive, an AF prism and a grip (at

which point it weighs about 5kg, and you're not going to handhold

it for very long). Mechanically this setup will do things that

an F3 might do (it has spot/matrix metering etc.).

<p>

You really should try to hire some different MF models to try out.

If you're set on 6x7, you might want to consider using a waist

level finder. Although there will be some learning curve here from

35mm, you may find that it provides a better way to visualise a

scene than a traditional prism finder (and in the case of the RZ, using this with no motor brings you down to a more managable

2.5kg).

I'm a user from Pentax 6x7 for several years. The biggest thing against this system is the weigth. When i go out to do some pictures, i normally carry about 4 or 5 lenses, with filters shades, etc. On top of that you need a heavy tripod,

(Berlebach studietta). The only way to transport this "in the field" is with a golf-car. At this moment i'm trying to develop a small buggy, very light-weigth

for field-work, 5 kg max. The quality of slides and prints are really beautiful. My favorite lenses are 105 2.4, 55 3.5 and 150 2.8. The quality of pictures improves a lot with the use of a pola filter. Especially the colors are much nicer to see. Besides this,

i use a Plaubel Makina 67with 80mm Nikkor, when i travel abroad. For slide projection i use a Linhof 6x7 with 200mm Leitz lens. The only thing that irritates me is the price of slide-holders. The price of the film is almost as high as one slide-holder.($2,- each !!)My favorite film for prints is Fuji NPH. For slides i like very much the Sensia II and the Velvia.

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, I just made a similar transition, from a series of Nikon 35mm SLR's up to 6x7, deciding on the Pentax. Yup, it's a heavy tank,especially with the metered prism and the handle installed. However, the transition from 35 to 6x7 was as easy as pie, and I just can't say enough about the first time you drop the Velvia slides on the light table. Now a question maybe somebody could help this newbie with-I currently use a Manfrotto 055 tripod and a art168 ball head, but is there a better (keeping cost in mind) setup for my camera? I like the weight of the Manfrotto (not real light, but packable) but wonder if I should switch to a pan head for more stability?

PS-unless I am mistaken, there is no facility for a motordrive for the Pentax 67

• 3 months later...

I second the pentax 67 nomination. I've used nikons, including the ftn for 30 years. The pentax is closest to the Ftn, and is not that heavy, compared to an F4 for example. The 55mm is a fantastic lens and I can put the body with the ttl finder and the 55mm around my neck and shoot for lng p[eriods. Try T-max with Ethol TEC developer to get an EI of 320. The thumb wind is fast enough (shades of the Ftn). If you want motors get a hassey ELM. Medium format is for slower shooting anyway, unless you are doing weddings. On 120 the pentax 67 gets 10 exposures, so by the time you get going, you need to reload. The selection of B&W films in 220 is too limited for really fine work. T-max and Tech pan only come in 120.(I'm a sharpness nut!)

Alternatively, get an f3 with an md4, a micro nikkor lens and tech pan and the above developer and machine gun grainless 16x20 prints.

Why not try a Mamiya Universal. Interchangeable lenses, range finder(no mirror shake),Interchangeable backs the works.Loads easy.Quality of some lenses may be suspect, but are fair to excellent,and there is nothing like seeing your first 6x7 images. Also mamiya is CHEAP to buy so if you don't like it little is lost easy resale.No mter tho I use pentax spot

happy shooting

• 1 month later...
I use a Nikon F4 and N90s and also use the Pentax6X7. The compatability between thes cameras is no different than any of the other medium format equipment. You always hear that the Pentax is a giant 35 and it does look like one. The placement of the film transport is what causes the Pentax to resemble the 35. If the film spindles were in back of the shutter instead of on the side it would appear like a box like the other systems. The only drawback with the Pentax is lack of interchangeable backs. As Pentax states there are no bells and whistles here. It is a complete manual system and I would not use it without a separate light meter. If that does not bother you then the Pentax is a great choice especially when cost is considered. The Pentax offers excellent quality lenses at very good prices

Dear Dietrich

<p>

Check out the Bronica GS-1 6X7. All the lenses in the GS-1 range come outfitted with

leaf shutters which synchronisation at all flash speeds. There are 9 lenses in the GS-1 kit viz: 50/4.5, 65/4, 80/3.5, 100/3.5, 110Macro/4, 150/4, 200/4.5, 250/5.6, 500l/8, and two teleconverters 1.4X, and 2X respectively. The GS-1 has no motor drive and spot metering. But for the money, one would be hard pressed to find better value. Interchangeable backs including Polaroids are features of the GS-1.

<p>

The other 6X7 camera system that I can recommend is the Mamiya RZ 67. It is essentially a studio camera/. I have no experience with the Pentax 67 however, friends of mine who have used it do speak highly of the Pentax system. Check it out.

• 6 months later...

Just see this "old" discussion and want to add a bit more:

<p>

(1) the simply answer for the original question would be NO, no such a 6 x 7. Mamiya RB/RZ do have a motor, but we have not see it popularly used by RB/RZ owners;

<p>

(2) a point related to the answer from Rene (Not@Valid.com) who said 'The GS-1 has no motor drive and spot metering'. The 1st half is correct but, GS-1 does have a spot meter which equipted in its rotary AE prism finder G, which is very accurate and also can work as a handhold type.