Nikon 5T/6T close-up filters & R1C1 macro lighting system

mark amy

Hello,

Does anyone know if you can use either the Nikon 5T or 6T close-up filters in conjunction with Nikon's R1C1 macro

lighting system?

I'm assuming you can't because the filter would be using the lens thread for attaching the R1C1's adapter, but

I'm not sure.

The filter and lighting would be used on a Nikkor Micro 105mm (62mm filter thread) with the D300.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Ellis. I'd seen the 500D mentioned a lot, but just dismissed it because it was Canon and thinking it would only work on Canon cameras! Realise now the brand is irrelevant.

Probably a dumb question, but would there be any difference in stepping up from 62mm to either 72mm or 77mm? Does a wider diameter improve IQ or does it make no difference at all?

Thanks in advance.

No, all being equal (they never are) it is easier to make smaller diameter lens. I would get the size you need. Working distant are harder to come by at higher magnification. Don't waste it on steping ring if you don't have to. 5T and 6T are still available used if you look for them.

Watch KEH in Atlanta - just bring up the page once a day and search on "5t" and "6t". While they don't show up there as

often as they do on eBay, the ones on eBay often go for a higher price. Plus, if you see on at KEH, you buy it and you're

done, unlike an auction.

The Canon ones are suitable alternatives, and will fit onto lenses with larger thread sizes. Thom Hogan, who is well

respected in these parts, mentioned that the Canon 500d plus a Nikon 18-200VR makes one good choice for a good

walkaround kit (http://bythom.com/18200lens.htm). (There are also much more nuanced answers on lens kits on his site;

I'm pointing to this just as an example of why you might want to get the Canon instead of or in addition to the Nnikon

5t/6t combination.

"if you use the 6T on a macro lens that gives you 1:1 magnification, what would the ratio be with the 6T added?"

That requires a calculation based on the "effective focal length" of your macro lens at 1:1 (modern macro lenses become "shorter" as they focus closer). So you'll need to tell us aht 1:1 macro lens you have.

Thanks for all your replies.

Joseph, I don't get my new gear until the 17th, so another week to go. In my first post I put the Nikkor 105mm VR lens as my choice of macro lens, but now I'm a bit undecided as to which lens to go with.

It's either going to be the Nikkor 105mm or the Sigma 150mm with the Canon 500D. The 72mm thread on the 500D will fit the Sigma lens, but with the Nikkor, I'll need a step up ring to go from 62mm to 72mm.

Hi Mark. Sorry, I overlooked that in the first post. I don't know the rear nodal shift for the 105mm VR: I haven't had one on the optical bench yet. If it's anything like the old 105mm micro-Nikkor, that dropped all the way down to 69mm at 1:1. So the extension is 138mm.

The 500D is a 500mm lens. When you combine 69mm with a 500mm, you get 1/(1/69mm+1/500mm) = 60mm. That makes the magnification (138mm/60mm)-1 = 1.3x.

The 250D would give you 1/(1/69mm+1/250mm) = 54mm. Magnification = 1.55x.

If you put the 105mm VR on a 2x teleconverter, it would give you 2.0x. But the effective f stop would drop to f7.4, so the AF system would be pretty much dead (which isn't much of a problem), and the viewfinder a bit on the dim side (quite a problem).

I have no idea what the 150mm Sigma does when focused 1:1. Those who know my recent problems with Sigma also understand why I have no intention of putting one on the bench and finding out.

Thanks Joesph, that's really helpful! I assumed the 500D would provide a greater magnification, I didn't realise it was the opposite way round.

I'm pretty sure now, I'll stick with the 105mm because I intend to use it a lot indoors as well as outdoors, and I think the 150mm would be too long.

I've read that the 2x TC isn't very good, so I'll avoid that. I'm also researching extension tubes, but as I understand it, I'd have to buy Kenko ones because the Nikon ones don't work so well with the newer 105mm....sounds strange though!

I'm not familiar with ext. tubes at all, so I will probably end up getting the 250D for when I want that extra magnification. have you used Kenko tubes before?

Thanks,

Mark