Red Symbols on Retina cameras

Well, I didn't get a response on rangefinder forum, so here I post it with greater hopes.

I was looking over my retinas today and noticed something I had not noticed before.

Around the lens, some have red triangles near the name of the lens. I believe this to mean coated lens (correct

me if I am wrong). What I never noticed before is that on two of my cameras, there is the red letter "C". One

just a "C" without a triangle, the other with both a "C" and triangle. On another camera is the red letter "A".

Should I assume that these all mean the same thing? (coated glass).

I noticed that all of these symbols were on cameras from the 1950's or newer. Should I assume that older retinas

did not have coated lenses (and when did camera manufacturers start doing that?).

I also noticed that some retinas, while being from the 1950's, do not have any red symbols. Should I assume those

to be uncoated, even though they are new enough to have been coated? Specifically, I have 2 1b's and 1 1B that

have no red marks.

thanks

Dave

The red triangle on post WWII Schneider lenses stands for 'Duroplan' and was the Schneider name for their coating. For Zeiss it was T*. But soon everybody and his uncle coated their lenses so the red triangle was dropped.

The C on Retina cameras refers to the lens system. Both Schneider and Rodenstock made a set of 'C' lenses of about 4 focal lengths

Colin,

Any idea on the "A"? It is on a IIa Heligon.

Can we say that any camera after 1951 is coated or is that going too far?

Can I assume the Ib and the IB, without triangles are coated? The Ib's I have were made between

1954-1957 and the 1B from 1958-1960. Certainly they are in the right time frame to be coated, but no red triangle. The most recent camera I have with a red triangle is a IIc made between 1954-1957.

When did they stop using the triangle?

Dave