computers

If you do not plan to use an external monitor ?, get a laptop with vertical resolution of 1024 pixels or better. This will perhaps call for a 17" monitor on your laptop or larger.

The lower end 800 vertical pixels, or 768 are also OK for much lower price.

If you want to use external LCD monitor later ?, make sure you understand what the "native LCD screen resolution" means. Then make sure that your laptop video adapter has appropriate mode for external LCD monitor, and will provide the "native" resolution for external LCD that you could consider in the future.

Janine, what's the reason you're thinking of getting a new laptop? Are you happy with the Dell? What to suggest will depend, at least partly, on why you're upgrading. In a general sense, I'd think you'll want something plenty fast - the fastest processor you can afford, with lots of memory, an HD screen, 17" for sure, a large hard drive, and ample ports, including IEEE1394, USB, and a DVI connector. Then, there may or may not be a question of operating system, and that's a discussion in itself that I won't go into now, but glad to share what I think I know if you want.

Most (perhaps all) laptops only have 18-bit displays, and fake 24-bit colour by "temporal dithering", which is a sneaky term

for very fast flickering. Some people say they can't calibrate their laptop screens because of that. Watch out for migraines

from the flicker too.

Janine,

I work in the IT industry and take pictures for the love of it. Whenever asked about laptops, the first question I ask people is: you going to travel with it? If not, they are more expensive, a compromise of features, not readily upgrade-able, and prone to failure at the worse possible moment.

On the other hand, if you don't travel with it a desktop is none of the above - except prone to failure at the worse possible moment. [Computer Manufacturers have secretly been installing 'ugency circuits' in computers since the huge room filled, tube and core memory days. This circuit senses when a computer is in most need or demand, and cripples it. ;~]

Laptops - with an external monitor, consume more desktop space (ever run one while on your lap?) than a modern desktop. So think about your usage before you buy, and consider what you are going to use it for and how. A laptop is not always the best solution.

I very much appreciate James' candor about the "urgency circuits." I knew they had to be there! That aside, I'd like to add that one pays a price premium with laptops, not for their features, but their portability, so why pay the premium if the machine's going to be in one place? Along with the reasons James detailed, you'd likely get more machine for your dollar by getting a desktop.