Elan 7NE Midroll film change

kyle baker

I have an Elan 7NE and was wondering if it is possible to do a midroll film

change with it. I know you can set the leader to stay out, and that the camera

uses an infrared counting beam, i have read that those seem to be the needs

to do midroll changes, but i have not seen in any documentation or reviews

about the 7NE that it has this capability. If it doesnt, does anyone know of any

place where the camera can be sent and programed this way? like how the

A2E can have the light meter scale programed back into it?

I know about the method of rewinding the film, marking the frame u left on and

then when u put it back in, covering the eyepiece and lense and taking

pictures back to that spot... i do that if i have to, but to me i think i am just

wasting the lifetime of my camera. Any answers about this would be great.

Thanks

-Kyle

I have heard that there are cameras that all you do is hit a button, the film

position and info is recorded (on the film or in the camera i dont know), the

feel is rewound with the leader out, and when you want to put it back, all you

do is put it in and it returns to where you left off. Wondering if this is possible

with the Elan 7NE or if it is possible to somehow have this feature programed

in.

The feature you describe is only available with certain APS film cameras. As the Elan 7NE does not take APS film you will have to do a midroll change the way you've already described:

Rewind the film with the leader out and write the frame number on the film canister with a sharpie marker.

I would agree with Rob's response. The major pain is only changing the films - which is the same even if you had an automated process.

Once the film is in it is pretty much a piece of cake to advance to the shot where you left off. I personally use a marker to write on the rewound and extracted roll, the last frame number visible on the LCD display befor I started the "mid" rewind for that roll. If I rewind again and again, I simply cross out the previous numbers on the container and then write the new one again. So far I have yet to lose a single shot.

- Harman

<p>I do the same - I write the frame number on the film's label so I know how far to advance it when I put it back in. Lens cap on, high shutter speed, small aperture, ideally with the eyepiece covered (but in reality it probably makes no practical different), MF mode so the camera doesn't protest about being out of focus, and it doesn't take long to advance to where it should be.</p>

<p>The Elan 7's film advance system is very precise; I've learned to trust it, and no longer leave an extra blank frame just in case of alignment problems.</p>

>>>> but i have not seen in any documentation or reviews about the 7NE that it has this

capability.

Obviously... not many people own it :-) For any of your doc needs, look for info about the

7/7E (duh!).

Before doing what you describe program your camera so that it leaves the leader out (you

can do that using CFs: see the manual). Next, before you start the procedure make sure

you're at Av, Tv, P or M. Cover. Next, push the film rewind button in the back. Pushing it

twice will make rewind go much faster.... You know what to do next.

When re-loading switch your lens to MF and chose a resonably fast speed to "shoot" up to

that frame.

The Minolta Maxxum 7 has the feature similar to what you are talking about. But you still have to write down the frame number and when reload, you need to 'tell' the camera what frame number to restart. I have played with my brother's Maxxum 7. Hope this helps.

I'm sure there is a custom function in 7E that will determine whether the film leader will be left out or wound in. Make sure you set it so that the leader is left out. The default may rewind the film all the way (I don't own a 7E, so I can't give the details).

In case you end up rewinding it all the way, then you will have to buy a film leader retriver (available in photo shops for <$10.00) to get the leader out for reloading.

-Raju

" ...but have the leader "swallowed up" if the camera .. "

What I do is have the leader out always. When I take out a roll which I know is finished (ie started rewinding on its own), I push the leader back into the cartridge or wind it all the way in manually. This indicates that the roll is complete and needs to be dropped off for processing. So with this scheme, there are three scenarios:

1. Leader out - no markings: Brand new roll

2. Leader out - with number marking: Partially used roll, needs to be advanced to the number indicated

3. Leader in: Roll is finished - send in for development

- Harman

harman, what you say is what i normally do. unfortunately once or twice in the midst of a shooting frenzy, i have forgotten to push the leader all the way in, and inadvertently, used the roll later only to find, much to my chagrin, double exposed film. i guess i should just concentrate more.