CF tripods with 5 or more leg sections

yakim_peled1

Dear Photo Nutters... :-)

I plan on buying a CF tripod with 5 or more leg sections from a renowned company. The only one I am aware of is

the Gitzo 1550T. Are there any others?

A bit of history. Three months ago I purchased Gitzo 2530EX, Gorillapod SLR zoom, BH40 LR and BH25 LR. I

decided to sell the first three (way too big and heavy for me, never left my house.. :-) and go for a one small

tripod. I like the 1550T because it folds to only 32cm and that will fit inside my CompuDayPack and it weighs only

1 Kg. However, before I buy I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Weight should not be an issue as my heaviest lens is only 1.5 Kg. but naturally, when all other parameters are

constant, the more I get from the tripod the better. In a review at Adorama's site I read that someone uses it with

200-400/4 VR….

About heads, I will probably use my BH25 LR. However, I am open to suggestion on other small Gitzo heads

(rebate….) which can take Arca Swiss plates.

TIA.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Save your money - you are simply not the kind of person who needs a tripod badly enough to carry one which is effective. A tabletop tripod might work in an pinch, or a beanbag. Either would be a fraction of the cost of a Gitzo CF #1 tripod.

A series 1 Gitzo with 5 sections (or 3) is too light for a 200-400 lens, or practically anything else other than on a concrete floor in a studio. Even then you'd have to walk lightly. A Gitzo GT-2530 is suitable (under real-world conditions) for a lens up to 200mm. For anything longer, or for medium format, a GT-3530/3540 would be the lightest tripod under calm conditions, and a series 5 tripod is better for any "big gun" lens 400mm and up.

Hello Yakim,

If you want to realize the maximum possible sharpness from your lens you must provide a rigid support. A light weight 5-section tripod with a small ballhead is inherently incapable of meeting this requirement, regardless of who makes it or what it is made of. This applies to any lens, light or heavy. If you are not prepared to carry the weight required (and being an old codger myself I fully sympathize!), you may as well just hand-hold.

I would largely agree with Edward's comments although I have found that my GT2530 with an Acratech GV2 works quite well in supporting a 300 f/4 L + 1.4X TC + 30D. However I do use a wired remote switch, mirror lock-up and I try not to touch the tripod when firing the shutter.

I'm sure that any tripod will be better than hand held. After all, even the Gorillapod and BH-25 are very capable.

http://www.photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00PaY6

The thing I'm really after is to minimize weight and folded length. I was thinking very hard about the 1541T as it can carry much more, almost twice. The problem is that it's shorter when fully erect and longer when folded. The folded length is what bug me most as my bag (CompuDayPack) can be closed with a 40cm long tripod and that 1541T is 41cm when folded. That means that if I buy it, it will protrude from the bag which will make it (and me) very conspicuous.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

The 70-200/2.8 might be ok if you have a hook on the bottom of it and can weigh it down. The other lenses are light enough that it should be fine IMHO (weigh it down if possible though).

I'm sort of in the same quandry...bought a 3541LS recently and it's larger then I expected, but thankfully shorter. It's making me wonder if I should have gotten 2540 instead but then I wouldn't be able to chase after a 300/2.8 lens ;-)

Not so. I borrowed a 300/2.8 IS from a friend one day for a special assignment. The 2530EX had no problems dealing with it (+40D +grip +RRS L plate). Though 4 sections are inherently less stable than the 3 sections my guess is that the 2540 will have no problems coping with the weight.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Hello Yakim,

"...my guess is that the 2540 will have no problems coping with the weight."

It's not the weight that's the problem, it's the vibration. For a 300 f/2.8 you need the Gitzo 3530 and preferably a

gimbal head for balanced handling. My own 2530 is fine under calm conditions but is less than adequate when it's

windy and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 3530.