1D mkIII Error 99, can it be from the battery?

steve santikarn

I am getting Error 99 on the 1D mkIII after every few hundred shots. This started after I got a third-party

battery to backup the Canon supplied one. If I removed the battery and re-insert then the problem go away for a

while. I don't seem to have the same problem when I switch to the Canon battery (so far). Can the new battery

cause Error 99 lockup (I can't see how)?

Get a Canon battery - it's just $120 for gads sake! I'm simply amazed by the willingness of poeple to gamble with

expensive electronics using cheap batteries. Now, if we were talking AA cells in a cheap device that probably would

be OK (even though I just had IKEA brand AA leak in my TV remote after just 2 months whereas the original

Panasonic cells lasted 2 years...) but do you really wanna save 80 bucks and risk blowing your $4K camera to

kingdom come..? The LP-E4 Canon battery has lots of electronics (notice how accurate is the battery info on

1D3/1Ds3) so buying anything than the original Canon is foolish IMO.

Get watcha pay for EVERYTIME....EVERYTIME. I have a 1D3 and would use nothing but Canon Accessories or L

Glass period. I didnt pay 4700(w/tax and from local dealer) to have it downgraded and perform badly by cheap

aftermarket 3rd party garbage. You stomached the cost of the camera, keep going and get the full benifit and

experience provided in the Canon 1 Series.

The actual cause (in this case) will almost ceratinly be incorrect voltage. I agree with both preceeding posts and share the general opinion that a Canon battery is the only one to buy when using the 1 series cameras.

I wouldn't mention this to your local Canon repair centre either, unless you want him (or her) to tell you that your warranty has been voided by the use of an unauthorised power supply. Just not worth the risk is it?