tripod $100-$200 for 70-200 lens

justin_ngo

according to the specs, that lens weighs almost 3lbs -- still light as far as long lenses are concerned.

in that price range, you can't expect some carbon fiber legs. i'd go with the manfrotto 190xprob.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479927-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_190XPROB_190XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

weighs 4 pounds, supports 11, and has a nifty horizontally-extending center column for low-to-the-ground macro shots. the 190 is a bit cheaper, but lacks this feature. 4lbs is a little heavy for hiking, but for field work, it's pretty sturdy.

you'll still need a ballhead, for $50 you can get this pistol-grip sunpak: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501987-REG/Sunpak_620PISTOLGRPQR_Pistol_Grip_Ballhead.html

or this induro with QR: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486902-REG/Induro_482_001_SA_01_Ballhead_with_Quick.html

eventually, you will want to upgrade and you will spend more doing so, but $200 will at least get you some support.

About the only $100-200 tripod I could recommend would be a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221. It's a little heavy, but that's what you'll have to take if you want solid at your price level. Lots of them with basic heads on thEbay for $100-125. My old tripod is a 3221 and I love the Bogen 410 geared head I have on it, but those heads are rarer. You could definitely get a set of 3221 legs and a 410 head used for $200 if you can wait for one to come along.

apparently the 190xprob is the same set of legs others mentioned, so looks like you got some good advice, justin. unless you're spending $6-$700, carbon fiber legs aren't that much lighter maybe like 3lbs as opposed to 4, and if your biggest lens is the 70-200 i wouldnt worry about it too much for now.

btw, i use the manfrotto 488RC4, that's around $100-$120 new, but in addition to spirit bubble levels, it has the panning lock as well as the ballhead lock. it's probably worth it over a basic ballhead since a second lock is more stable than one tightening switch.

Thank you so much for your great recommendations.I'm in another hard decision since all of your recommended

tripods are great and in my budget range!! I can not go with carbon fiber for now because my budget went with

lenses recently, but definately wil get one in future. Thanks.

So, I'm narrowing to:

1/ Bogen 190XPROB Tripod Legs and Slik 700DX

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479927-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_190XPROB_190XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Does above package from BH include the ball-head?

2/ Bogen / Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod Legs (Black) with 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead? Which ballhead would you

recommend me to use with?

Slik 400DX is at great price, but it's out-stock at BH now

The 190XDB combo is great, lighter while Slik 700DX is cheaper.I may go with the lighter.

Both look fix my budget and needs.

Thanks a lot! You guys are awesome!

Eric, Justin didn't mention weight as a factor, only a price range. A load bearing capacity was implied by specifying the lens. The Slik 700DX is entirely comparable to the long popular Bogen/Manfrotto 3021.

Justin, grip action ballheads involve compromises. You sacrifice ultimate rigidity and stability for convenience and speed. Be very careful to avoid using a grip action ballhead to flop an entire camera over on its side for vertical (portrait) orientation. It can easily pull an entire rig off balance. Be sure the weight is distributed over one leg, not between two legs.

With a telephoto equipped with a tripod collar you would rotate the entire camera around the lens tripod collar rather than flopping the camera over sideways, so that particular problem is resolved.

There are solutions such as special mounting brackets that help keep the camera's center of gravity over the middle of the tripod, but these are much more expensive.

If you decide to get the 700DX it will be equipped with a tilt/pan head. Try it for awhile and see if it meets your needs. If not you'll have a better idea of the type of replacement you want. I replaced the tilt/pan head on my 300DX with a Velbon magnesium ballhead which has been satisfactory for several years and doesn't weigh much.

Most Manfrotto tripods are sold separately: legsets and heads. The only Manfrotto head priced under $100 I've tried that I liked was the now-discontinued 3028 Super 3D tilt/pan head, which I still have for a 3001 legset. The still current 3025 3D head is comparable - not quite as convenient (it lacks the lever locks of the 3028), but still rigid. However, the tilt/pan head that comes with the Slik 700DX is just as good and the combination is a bargain.

One of the few advantages to most Manfrotto heads, which doesn't concern most users, is the 3/8" mounting bolt for the heads. It's extremely sturdy. Many light and medium duty tripods, including the Sliks, use 1/4" mounting bolts. These are rigid enough for a typical SLR and moderate lens such as the 70-200/2.8 VR or 300/4 AF-S. A serious wildlife photographer who uses long, heavy lenses will probably prefer the 3/8" bolt. For most of us, we'll never notice the difference.

I use my 3001 legset as a reflector stand holder. The 42" reflector and support arm place tremendous strain on a 1/4" mounting bolt - I've actually bent one trying to use it to support this reflector. The 3001, despite being a rather small, lightweight legset, has the extremely strong 3/8" mounting bolt and can hold the reflector at any angle without strain.

Most Manfrotto legsets use all metal parts, including the locking collets. They are very slightly more rigid. They also tend to demand more effort to lock and unlock. Sliks use nylon or plastic locking collets - hence the "Slik" name. They lock and unlock smoothly and hold securely. But with a maximum weight load the collets tend to compress a bit. I wouldn't recommend a Slik legset for the serious macro-photographer because even a slight shift in weight and compression of these collets can spoil a carefully prepared composition. But for general use they're excellent.

"With a telephoto equipped with a tripod collar you would rotate the entire camera around the lens tripod collar rather than flopping the camera over sideways, so that particular problem is resolved"

Great advice!!! Thank you so much, Lex, and all , for your great and very helpful suggestions.

No one has mentioned Tiltall. I have a 40-year-old Marchioni Tiltall that I've always been quite happy with - used for medium format and 4x5 as well as digital. New Tiltalls are a little over $100. Are the new ones not as good as the old ones? Or do I just not know what I'm missing?

"Could you tell me what is different between 190XPROB and 190 XDB? Thanks a lot!"

besides cost, the main differences between the manfrotto 190 pro series and the 190xdb series are the horizontal-

swiveling center column and built-in bubble spirit level, which the 190pro has. the 190xdb has a removeable center

column, which may be advantageous, depending on your shooting style, in that you can switch it out for a shorter

column, and it's reversible for low-angle macro stuff. also the 190xdb weighs 3.7 lbs as opposed to the 190pro's 4lbs,

so its a bit lighter. it also doesnt have leg warmers, which is really only a big concern if you're shooting in extreme

cold weather conditions.

ace photo has a deal on a 190xdb+ 486rc2 kit for a price within your budget, and it comes with a bonus monopod for

about the same price if you bought that legset and that ballhead seperately: http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-

Manfrotto-Section-Aluminum-MACCABEE/dp/B001732548/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?

ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217464717&sr=8-4

@lex: if someone with a d40 asked about the IQ of the 50/1.8, i'd say it was sharp, but i'd be compelled to also

mention that it wont AF on that body.

true, justin didn't mention the weight, but that's a pretty significant differential (4lbs. vs. 7.1 lbs) which would definitely

be field-relevant the first time he has to walk up a hill or a flight of stairs with his tripod, not to mention a full day of

field work. not saying the sliks arent a good deal for the budget-conscious, but i would think it would be helpful to

know they're not the lightest budget tripods out there. anything over 5lbs is a bit heavy for lugging around IMO, and

the heavier a tripod is, the less you're gonna wanna lug it.

justin also didnt specifically ask for this next piece of information but i'll share it anyway: when i researched the

190xprob, i looked at a number of criteria: price/weight/features/load. i came to the conclusion it had the best overall

combination of that criteria within my price range ($200-$250 w/ ballhead). i could have spent 3-4 hundred more and

saved, oh, around a pound with a basalt gitzo legset or spent about 500 more and saved 2 lbs (but with a lower load

capacity) for a CF gitzo like the GT1550T.

if you're not an avid hiker looking to shave as much weight as possible or don't have a really long lens,

longer than 70-200 that is, you dont absolutely need a CF set, as the main benefit is added load capacity at about

the same weight as the manfrotto 190s. if you plan on adding longer teles down the line you might want to invest in a

sturdier legset, but for a tam 70-200+d80 combo you'll be well under the limit.