Help, been asked to shoot a relative's wedding

klsphoto

I've been asked to photograph my mother-in-law's 2nd wedding for sentimental reasons--not because I'm an expert. I

am a landscape photographer and don't normally do well with portraits/candids. I have a Canon 20D & 300D, 17-40 F-

4L and 70-300 F4-5.6 IS & 580EX. I've been looking at the portfolios of the folks here--great shots--for ideas. Any

advise and/or major mistakes to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help, Karen

Read this forum, loads and loads of excellent advice. Ignore the naysayers. If she really wants you to do it, and you really want to do it, just make it very clear what your capabilities are and go for it. You seem to lack a mid-range zoom. Your zooms are either too short or too long and you would have to continually swap them over which I don't like. I shot an entire wedding once using a 350D and a 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 USM II lens, and a 580ex. With a little reading and practice you could possibly do an okay job. You should also have a backup camera of some sort - body, lens, flash (rent, borrow, steal...). Good luck.

The first-timer's section of the forum has lots of useful tips as does the Weddings bit in the Learning section. The 17-40 on the 20D gives you good standard zoom capability if a little short at the long end for those more intimate detail shots. The 70-300 on the second body will be good for candids and detail shots. One flash between two cameras could prove a touch tricky. Can you borrow a second zoom and flash? Something like the 24-105 f4 would be ideal. The other thing is, if you have friends & family to assist, practice with your flash technique - indoor bounce & outdoor fill-in.

You've been asked for sentimental reasons... Shooting a wedding for a friend/relative can be a difficult thing and is something that even experienced wedding photographers often want to avoid. However, I will assume you understand the risks to relationships and the particular dynamic of your family and can make your own decision in regards to whether or not you do this.

The biggest major mistake that first time wedding photographers make (particularly when shooting for family/friends) is they don't have a contract. It might seem like overkill but it provides clarity between the two parties about what you will and won't do and that is the most critical part of shooting a wedding for a family member. Even if you don't think you need the legal protection I would suggest that you do need to communicate very clearly with the bride and groom and the contract takes out all of the ambiguity that is inherent in verbal communications (it also helps everyone remember exactly what was communicated).

The second biggest mistake I've seen others make (one I've made myself), is beginners try to change everything, shooting style, equipment, lighting all at once. If you shoot landscapes I would suggest scoping the wedding site for outdoor places to shoot your groups and as many portrait/romance photos as possible. You will be far more comfortable outdoors that trying to learn how to light a group in dark Church with your flash (do remember fill flash outside). Try to keep your camera setup simple and comfortable. I agree that you probably need a short telephoto but you can get away with what you have.

Third big mistake is not carrying a backup for everything you need. My first equipment failure wasn't a camera but a flash to battery pack connector. Make sure you have two (or three) of every essential piece of equipment.

Your lenses will be limiting indoors, so you need to be familiar with flash photography if the wedding will be indoors. Can you post more details about the time of day and what type of venue the wedding will be in?

If you feel you don't normally do well with portraits and candids you need to express that as clearly as possible. I am not saying you can not or should not do it. I am saying they have asked you to photograph in your weakest areas.

Thank you for all of your answers. I appreciate the support and ideas. Yes, I will try to have a back up camera and shooter. As I understand it, this will be a simple ceremony with a few family and friends at their church and a small reception after. Since these folks are widow/widower in their late 70's, who have found love late in life, I expect that they will not want too many of the close up shots that you normally see at weddings. This will be a labor of love for two people who well deserve happiness. I will only be able to visit the site the morning of the event as it is 2,000 miles away and we're flying in the night before. I'll try to get some idea of the area and outdoor locations before I get there.

Again, thanks for your help and I will be watching the "first wedding" boards for the next month.

Karen

This is probably a chance to get a lot of wonderful, deeply-felt expressions by all in attendance, so snap away throughout.

Second weddings are often more casual so getting the key events is less critical than for young first-timers.

Keep it simple. Use your flash in TTL- bounce it indoors if you have a low white ceiling- note how people tape a business card to the back side for front fill. With two DSLR's you have a backup except for the flash.

Use Program mode. Do not use aperture priority inside, even with flash. It will set too slow a shutter speed. Use ISO 100 outside and ISO 400 or 800 inside and be careful of changing ISO when you go inside to outside and vice versa. Use One Shot focusing, not AI Focus or AI Servo (AI Servo is OK outside in bright light only). Learn how to compensate your flash (read the manual)--how and why. Learn how to (if you don't already know) read a histogram and how to make adjustments. If the ceremony is inside, bring a tripod. You may need it if you aren't allowed to use flash.

If it were me, I would use one camera and one flash at a time. Be sure to have plenty of batteries--both for the cameras and the flash (several sets). Review hand holding speeds recommendations and stopping motion recommendations. As others have said, keep things simple. You will have enough to worry about just staying on your toes. Concentrate on getting the action and emotions.

The 20D is not great at autofocus accuracy. I would test this out beforehand. I put my autofocus control on the * button, and autofocus several times on a good, contrasty target before shooting. Especially with wide angle lenses, the focus tends to slip because the targets are small.

John, my mother-in-law (who is a saint) has had a rough time for the last 20 years, I'm very glad that she has found

someone who will love and cherish her as all of her children do. She's been very supportive of my photography in the past.

BTW, if I don't do it, there won't be any pictures so I'm not taking $$$ from a pro. Thanks to all for your suggestions,

Karen

I have previously commented that doing a first Wedding and for a Relation is generally not a good idea: Personally my opinion is that this is an exception, rather than the default rule, but that does not dismiss my suggestion that expectations and abilities should be clearly stated and accepted by each of you beforehand.

OK That said: IMO If you can get shots like the DV series using the kit lens on a 300D three years ago, then you can do this labour of love, provided you take a relaxed approach and you practice beforehand with the Flash (inside: bounce / diffused and outside: Flash Fill) and you work simply.

A simple operation is the key to it.

Take in everything Nadine said: and I add . . . I would do it all with the basically 17 to 40 on the 20D and use the Flash to Fill outside and bounced or diffused inside . . . and I would use Flash during the Ceremony: if you are allowed: Find that out.

Yes `P` mode will be your friend. Yes the 20D is funny with AF especially at the wide angle and in low light and the 17 to 40, is only F4. I say `only` because that is slow (and dark) when you bring it inside.

I think if you can borrow, hire or buy a (budget) 35F2 or 50F1.8 and have that on your 300D you would be better equipped than with the slower and longer zoom. I think either of those two lenses and learning the skill of exposing for skin tones in available light would be useful, if you need to follow that route during the Ceremony.

Shoot RAW.

I am making assumptions that is will be a relaxed and more to the ``informal style`` of service allowing you to move around quietly and unobtrusively.

Now those are my assumptions, the key to knowing how you will need to work, is knowing the rules under which you can work. Check these out.

Good luck.

WW

Again, thanks to all who took the time to answer. I will definately practice using the flash both indoors and out and on getting skin tones accurate. I do shoot raw. I'm having someone at the location do my leg work for me (church rules, outdoor sites for group pics, etc).

I do appreciate all of your help, you have given me confidence that I can do this. Thanks, Karen

"She's been very supportive of my photography in the past."

While my opinion doesn't matter, I feel better for you doing it for someone who appreciates your photography rather than being yet another relative goaded into taking on a challenging and difficult responsibility simply BECAUSE you are a photographer. Tell us how it goes.

No intent to be shrewd, just curiosity. So often are questions from someone who is "asked" to shoot a wedding for free. Sometimes there are no resources available and it will be a great help to have photographic memories. The 'asker' doesn't know how much effort is involved and may percieve the event to be fun for the 'askee". Hopefully it will turn out that way. Other times the other vendors are paid and the photo enthusiast or even pro are expected to perform for free or cheap at risk of complaints and other problems. That's when I may suggest that the 'request' be potitefully declined with good reasons given. I never saw sentimental reason as the basis for being asked to shoot and its nice to see that the effort will be highly valued.

Perhaps the nuance of meaning was not conveyed correctly: I meant ``shrewd`` as a compliment.

Shrewd = sagacious; with a practical meaning; insightful.

When I read the question first up, I did not think to question the basis of the sentimentality or its source: you did.

Curiosity might have driven the question, but none the less, insightful to follow it up, I think.

The answer as to what the sentimental reasons were, was the premise for my first paragraph, hence I thanked you.

Perhaps the word ``shrewd`` is less used now in the sense I meant it, but rather more with the connotation of malicious, sharp, mischievous, or even evil.

I think the Wedding will be a real winner and the Photographs a really great memory of he occasion.

WW