Versions of B type Arca Monoball

walterh

Hello I got an offer for a used Arca Swiss B monoball.

I know there is a newer Version Z available. My question is what is the difference between the different versions

of the B model and how many different models are there and how do I keep these apart. Is there any specific model

I should not get?

The second question is about advantages of the newer model Z. Is the main advantage the additional pano

capability? I only occasionally do panoramas and do not mind to spend a little extra time doing so. Taking panos

usually requires a little bit of thinking and I fall back into the time scale of doing 4x5^^. The smaller size

and lower weight are not important for this head since I will stick it onto a large aluminum Gitzo that does not

get carried too far.

A used Arca swiss B head is near 50% of the price of a new model Z and used Z ones are probably impossible to

find since used B types are already difficult to get.

There are two models of the Arca B1 you need to consider. The latest model has a grey tension adjustment knob (inside the main knob), whereas the tension adjuster is black in the previous version. The "grey" version is much more resistant to the infamous Arca "lockup" if the head is stored or transported in the locked mode. My B1 (grey knob) has never locked up, but it does get tight when not used for a while. I just back off the locking knob and push the ball into the notch to free things up.

Edward thanks for the info.

So if I get the B1 type with the grey tension knob I should be fine?

Also I am not planning to go for the quick lock clamp. I rather prefer the manual locking mechanism, one reason

being that it will accept variations in mounting plates more easily.

Would there be any problem with this head if I use it with a Wimberly sidekick ("poor mans Wimberly head"? I

heard that there is a warning in effect with the newer typ Z head.

I have successfully used the Arca Swiss B1 with Wimberly Sidekick for the last few years. I regularly mount up to a 300 mm f/2.8 with TC17E on a Gitzo 1325 with this combo. I have not encountered any lock up problems with this later model B1. I have never tried the Z1.