Repaid D70 for $200 or save money and buy D80?

gabriel_afana

I own a D70 and a D300. I do nighttiem photography at raves and nightclubs.

I use a D300 and my grilfriend comes along with me and uses the D70. The D70 started producing errors recently

and Nikon said it would be $200 to repair. My D70 is 4 years old.

My questions is do you guys think the D70 is worth spending another $200 on or would it be smarter to put the

money towards a d80? The reason I ask is because the D70 worked ok for her, but a D80 would be much better

(since it has much lower noise at higher ISO's than the D70...pplus all the other massive improvements). The D70

was doing just fine for her and I never considered buying a new one for her BUT since I now have to shell out money

to fix it...im kind of torn.

I am feeling its a waste to leave a d70 dead just for a few hundred bucks...but then I am thinking for $629 I can get a

D80 body from Amazon.

To help give you a better idea...the D70 was doing the job, but a D80 would do a much better job because of its

better ISO noise performance. However, we are not paid for this (long story, but its part of a service we provide from

my website).

Fix the D70 and go on with life?

Upgrade to the D80 and leave the D70 dead?

ANYBODY WANT A D70? haha, Im willing to trade it plus a few bucks in exchange for a 50mm f/1.4 :-)

So what do you guys think...im curious

Boy, 'the times, they are a changing'. I just bought a 34 year old Nikon and I'm happy as a clam. Today we are in the

age of disposable cameras.

I agree that it would not be cost effective to repair your Nikon D70. Although sometimes, that may not be the only

consideration.

I have a Nikon D80 and like it. However, I have to believe Nikon will replace the D80 pretty soon, as it is getting long in

the tooth, so I would wait if you can. Shouldn't be too long.

If you can't wait, the Nikon D80 is a very fine choice.

Some say the D70 makes really wonderful images but it's now very old technology. You'll spend $200 and still have an old camera. Nikon

Service wanted $240 to repair mine. I sold it on auction and never looked back. You might find a clean used D80 with low cycles that is

reasonably priced. Even that's old technology now. I see a lot of online raves over the D300, especially for your kind of work.

Some say the D70 makes really wonderful images but it's now very old technology. You'll spend $200 and still have an old camera. Nikon

Service wanted $240 to repair mine. I sold it on auction and never looked back. You might find a clean used D80 with low cycles that is

reasonably priced. Even that's old technology now. I see a lot of online raves over the D300, especially for your kind of work.

I have a D300 for myself...but what we are taking photos for doesn't justify a second D300! :-P

I have about 15k shots on the d70. I've used the D80 before (before I got my d300) and it works GREAT for the type of shots we need (high ISO shots). Im sure when the D90 does ever get released, it will be priced slightly higher than the current $600-$700 price of the D80 (which spendingmore money is something Im trying to avoid).

Nobody has any reliable information as to when the D90 would come out....which makes making a decision a little difficult. I have a friend who is willing to buy my D70 plus a quantitary kit-lens for $350 (after I repair it). I think this is great...but I MUST have a camera....

Does anybody know anything elseon the D90?

Put the money towards a new body. The D80 is a great camera, and waiting for the "D90" (or whatever it will be called) should be out towards the end of the summer (according to a nikon rep). If you need a camera now. I suggest either buying a used d50/d70 or (if you have enough) a D80.

On a side note, if you do leave the d70 dead, I'd love to open it up. If you get rid of it, let me know, I'll cover the shipping.

I'm going to disagree with most of the other responders here and suggest you get the D70 repaired. If you don't get it repaired it's

worthless. If you do get it repaired you can probably get the $200 back even if you sell it a year from now. The $200 is going out

the window either way, but if you fix it you've got a camera for the $200. I go through this with my old Saab all the time. It costs a

fortune to repair and maintain, but still much less than a new car payment. Also, is the D80 really that much better than a D70? I

know there are improvements, but how much will they really show up in the final pictures?

I didn't know anything about the D90...I did a lot of reading and it seems nobody knows anything about it - its all rumors.

According to Nikon, the D700 was officially released July 1st (or maybe just officialy announced?)

Either way, many people believe the D90 (if it does exist) will be announced at Photokina which is 2 months ago. Then I have to wait some time for it to be made available and plus im sure at a price higher than what the current D80's are going for.

"Also, is the D80 really that much better than a D70? I know there are improvements, but how much will they really show up in the final pictures?"

Absolutely - the D80 blows the D70 away in ISO performance. I can shoot at ISO1600 on the D80 and it be acceptable for the web...the D70 at ISO 1600 is a disaster.