P&S with low noise levels, fast AF, short focal length, etc.

Hi,

After buying my first DSLR (400D), I decided to sell my Sony DSC-P10 with all its accessories (MPK-PHA underwater

housing, VAD-PHA Lens Adapter, 2x and 0.45x conversion lenses, etc. - see auction picture). Almost 2 years have

gone and now I own a 5D...yes, selling also the 400D helped me paying it. Although still on a honeymoon with the

5D, I miss a lot the portability of a P&S, amongst many other things related to this type of cameras. Therefore,

I decided to buy my second P&S.

Lately, I've been checking some reviews but one thing is worrying me: the high noise levels above ISO400 in most

samples. I guess that must be related to the high pixel densities as manufacturers tend to increase pixel counts

(but not sensor sizes) due to marketing reasons. Anyway, I'm still in this quest but maybe I need some help.

Thus, What do you suggest taking into account the following requisites:

- low noise levels, even above ISO400

- fast AF - the main reason for selling the DSC-P10 was its IMHO slow AF - I missed a lot of underwater shots

waiting for it to get the focus right - not great deal on dry land but imagine doing that with only the air

you've in your lungs at 6m of depth

- short focal length on the wide end - 28mm or under

- sensor between 6-10MP

I want it mainly for holidays and for underwater shots as I'm planning to buy an underwater housing (Ikelite?)

with external flash (strobe) possibilities (on "snotty" waters, subjects are usually full of suspended particles

in front, resulting in an erratic auto-focusing and reflected on-body flash light; I can get away without on

shallow dives but if I'm going below 30-40 meters a strobe is needed).

Please, forget the Fuji FinePix F31fd: it's more expensive now than when it came out!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Paulo<div>00QIIE-59707584.thumb.jpg.2388f18afd0c0b1751ff60a7cb7ee3b0.jpg</div>

Even the 1/2.5" CCDs on recent Panasonic digicams

have low noise levels at 400 ISO with the Venus IV processor.

So you would think the upcoming LX3 (24-50mm) with 1/1.63" CCD

would be acceptable at 800 ISO.

Sony makes some competitive models but I don't pay

attention to them because of memory stick.

Some Sony model was top-rated for high-ISO noise

by Consumer Reports, but when I checked it on dpreview.com

it didn't look that great to me.

Hi Bill,

I checked the LX3 at dpreview and, yes, quite interesting specs although a little pricey, above 500 euros, and,

obviously, no waterproof cases available yet for it - but it looks worth waiting.

I'm also considering the Sealife DC800 with the external flash - nice price for the set although no reviews yet

available.

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc800_pro.html

I have been very pleased with my Nikon Coolpix S600. It has the best noise levels of any compact camera I have seen to date. Up to 1600 iso it is fantastic for a point-n-shoot.

Here is a link to my S600 gallery

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=839912

And another link to a thread I started when I first got the camera.

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00PlXX

Not of them have decent noise levels. In fact, they seem to be getting worse. You either get less noise with lower resolution, or more noise with higher resolution. The LX3 may be better than the LX2, but the noise on that thing was awful.

<p>

The camera that you, me and everyone else wants hasn't been produced yet.