Sigma 70 - 200 f/2.8 Macro

jose_rivera9

According to dp (and I hate to use them as source) it does not. If you are looking for macro these are your options; Sigma 150, Sigma 105, Tamron SP90, Nikon 105, Nikon 60 (my preference goes to 105). Remember primes will always do macro the best.

- sergey

Jose,

I have this lens. It's an excellent, fast and high quality short telephoto zoom and the HSM is every bit as fast and quiet as high end Nikkor zooms like the 17-55mm DX but I believe the 'macro' designation really only related to an improved minimum focus distance (which is 1.8 metres from memory) I have indeed tried some macro work with this lens and found 100 -120mm at apertures of f/4 or greater to yield the best results but my old Kiron manual focus 105mm f/2.8 dediacated Macro prime lens is head and shoulders above the IQ from the Sigma. The sigma 70-200 is a bit of weight to deal with for the precise requirement of macro photography - horses for courses?

"Does the Macro really make it worthwhile?"

I used this lens for some months and I used the successor, the Sigma EX DG HSM Macro II 70-200/2.8. IMO the macro

option of the first Sigma "Macro" zoom is not worthwhile. Version II is visibly better but don't expect any

miracles. At least you have to stop down the lens 'til 8 to get an acceptable quality. Last week I did some

closeup shooting with an AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200/2.8 with an excellent achromatic Canon closeup lens on it (Canon

500D). Results were much better than these made with the Sigma 70-200 II.

Thanks for the responses. I actually just got the lense today and I feel it is too heavy to do any macro work. But the IQ does look good so far.

If you have any other suggestions on handling (I don't think hand holding will be much of an option) please feel free.

Thanks.

"For what its worth, the newly released Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, is considerably better than the Sigma version. "

Russ

Yes, that's correct: The Tamron's IQ is better than the Sigma's (it is astonishingly good, even at full aperture with a EOS 5D)....

... but its AF speed is so sloooooooow (and noisy). At present I use the Tamron 70-200/2.8 with Canon mount (still no Nikon mount available). Following moving subjects like children on a bicycle is a thing next to impossible with the Tamron (5D/40D). Here the Sigma HSM shines. I prefer to stop down the Sigma a bit instead of using the Tamron only with static subjects.

Frank

• 1 month later...
I did a recent review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 on the Nikon forum. I've worked with the Sigma version as well, and agree with one thing only, the focus motor is better. However I don't get what all these comments about "noise" in reference to the focus motor are. It is nearly silent unless you rack it from one end to the other. In good light it CAN follow moving subjects other than fast moving birds maybe. In lower light focusing is indeed slow....but it gets there for static subjects. It is way sharper than the Sigma however wide open. That is the thing that mightily impresses me so far. I rather like the build as well. it's better balanced, and lighter in weight as well. All in all the Tammy is not bad to say the least.The focusing on the Sigma is NO speed demon and certainly not in the AF-S league either.