Opinions: Underwater snorkler camera w/macro

stemked

I am the owner of a Motor Marine II underwater camera (I was never really all that successful with it) but now

looking for something in the digital world to replace it for a winter trip to Hawaii. I am serious, but not

overly so about the quality of the images, as I know from personal experience you really need to take things to

another level for outstanding underwater nature images. I don't snorkel any deeper than 15 feet (about 3 meters)

and I would really like to work some tidal pools at night with the camera. So the features I am looking for are:

-easily hand-holdable underwater.

-a good macro capability

-an external light sources a plus, but not essential

-'reasonably priced' (ie under $400)

-easy to use viewer

After going to B&H's site I am leaning toward the Pentax Optio W30, (mostly because of the macro features) but

would be more than happy to entertain other possibilities.

The W30 is only rated to 10ft and only for 2 hours. That sort of implies maybe it leaks a little bit (or why the 2 hour limit?). I don't know how it would do at 15ft.

For around $170 you can get an underwater housing for a P&S digicam like the Powershot A720is, and it's rated for a depth of 130ft.

The Olympus 770 SW (as well as the 790 SW) has recently been discontinued. I just purchased one for about $200 from a local store. Last year it was about $400. It is waterproof to 33 ft and has macro capability and flash. I have not yet tried it underwater but I hope to return to Hanauma Bay on Oahu in February and use it.

I second Bob's recommendation for the underwater housing. I have the underwater housing for the Canon G9 (the big brother to the A720

IS). I've used it in the pool with my kids and it works great. The Canon cases are rated down to 130 feet and there's no mention of a time

limit. That's plenty of depth for snorkeling and even for some light scuba diving. They also have numerous buttons that allow you to work

all of the camera's controls. Just be sure you have fresh batteries before you put them in the case - battery changes are not possible

underwater. The cases can also be quite useful for shooting in the rain or other elements or condition that may be harmful to the camera.<div>00QJAh-60033584.jpg.4cf45da6727970dd1b1512da323350a3.jpg</div>

If you are snorkeling and you want to do breathhold dives, you want the smallest camera/housing setup possible, to reduce

drag when underwater.

Go with one of the new Oly waterproof mjus. The camera is small, the housing is small and the camera is waterproof in its

own right, so when you flood the housing, you'll likely be able to save the camera.

Vandit

Olympus 1030 SW. Drop proof, water proof to 33',crush proof. 28mm and macro. under water movies w/ sound

Works great- only complaints are trying to work small buttons w/gloves and camera doesn't float

Buy extra batteries and xD card. I recommend the only the Olympus batteries. the off brand we brought - although higher capacity don't last as long. If you want to use some tf the more advanced features you will need Olympus xD cards too.