Recommended Lens for Olympics

James, actually mine were taken from the stands, albeit nice seats. One possibility, as a guess, is to try photographing athletes who are practicing, but not actually competing. In other words, you go to the pool or other venue while the divers or other athletes are working out, getting shots that may be indistinquishable from ones in competition...

• 2 weeks later...

...more on this subject. I was feeling flush today while out in a good part of town to shop for lenses, and found a shop that

would actually let me put the 100-400 on my camera and try it out. I was all set to buy it, talking about how I was looking

forward to using it at the Games and on a subsequent trip to Africa that I plan to take, when the salesman asked why I did

not consider the 70-200 f/2.8L plus a 2x converter. It had the advantage of a larger aperture (without the extender, of

course) and having a non-lengthening design (i.e., the lens remains the same size regardless of how much you're zooming),

and it would be more useful overall than the 100-400. It seemed a good argument to me, so that's what went home with

me. Now to make sure I can bring these lenses into the venues with me!

James,

<p>

You might be interested in this test comparing the two alternatives. The conclusion is that the 70-200 with the

2x is softer than the 100-400. The test was done a few years ago (prior to the 2x II) so the same test done

today may have a different outcome, but makes for interesting reading nonetheless.

<p>

<a

href="http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/400v400.shtml">http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/400v400.shtml</a>

<p>

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone is still reading this?

We have practically wall to wall coverage from midday to midnight and lots of wide shots showing the crowd quite close: especially (thus far) Swimming, BBall and Gymnastics

Two days into the Games and I have noticed many DSLRs in the paying crowd, some with what looks like 70 to 300 or similar.

I can see no white lenses, though. That of itself doesn`t mean anything, just an observation.

WW

I meant to write back and forgot to do so, so thanks for the reminder! I have had no trouble bringing my Canon 5D and assorted lenses

into the Games, though at the security check to get onto the Olympic metro line they sometimes make me show them each and every lens

to demonstrate that they are see-through. And in the stands I have seen plenty of white lenses, in addition to my own, and no one cares.

It's only professional-quality video cameras that they ban from the stands.

My photos, in case anyone is interested, are here: http://shuanglong.smugmug.com/Sports

James,

Thank you for coming back. I find your experience (re white lenses) interesting, similar to mine but not exactly the

same: I am very happy it is working out good for you.

I do like some of your Extra WA shots inside.

I am an Olympics Junkie: I will watch everything . . . please wear a red hat and wave for the TV cameras, I will be

looking out for you on the big screen. :)

WW