Change Cano 100-400 for Sigma 150-500?

sai

Hi guys,

I've owned the Canon 100-400 for half a year now and I'm extremely happy with it. When buying though, I hesitated

a lot between this lens and the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma), and finanlly got the Canon for the IS.

Now Sigma finally released a 500mm lens with IS or OS.

Will you change the Canon for the Sigma now that both have IS?

Does anyone has any comments on the Sigma (sharpness, built...)

I appreciated it

simon

The last issue of the french magazine "Chasseur d'images" gives a comparison between the Canon EF 100-400, the Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 Apo DG HSM OS and the Sigma 150-500 f/5-6.3 Apo DG HSM OS.

The optical quality of the three lenses are comparable. The Canon is criticized due to dust problems and to the lack of fiability of its IS. They like a lot the Sigma 120-400, much less expensive, but the OS seems to be very noisy. The Sigma 150-500 is nearly the same lens, but the fact that the maximum aperture is smaller than 5.6 makes the AF very difficult. They conclude: "never less than f/5.6, never !"

Francois

The best Sigma telephoto zooms are the 300-800 f/5.6, the 120-300 f/2.8 and the 100-300 f/4 (and the prestige 200-500 f/2.8 with its dedicated 2x TC which you can expect to see during the Olympics). None of these have image stabilisation, but they are all in Sigma's EX top of the range line - and none of them has a direct Canon competitor. The predecessor of the 120-400 is the 80-400, which does have OS and was generally reckoned to be optically similar to the Canon 100-400 - possibly even a shade sharper pre-focussed on a tripod, but its OS was less effective, and it lacked HSM, so its focus was less quick (and also less reliable). Another antecedent is the 135-400, which was a good budget choice. The 120-400 seems to be in between in several ways: optically better than the 135-400, but probably not as good as the 80-400, yet benefiting from much improved OS (now arguably better than the Canon 100-400 in this respect) and the addition of HSM focus: it isn't an EX lens (neither is the 150-500). Here is one set of experiences with the 150-500 along with a good number of images:

http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/sig150500

I think both these lenses will prove to be quite popular, but mainly because they offer something nearly as good as the Canon at a cheaper price, rather than because they will be replacing the Canon among shooters who already own one. Now if Sigma can get that improved IS into the lenses I listed at the top of my answer without losing any optical quality they will have some true Canon beaters.

I'm watching the 150-500 right now. Some user reviews out there on the interweb:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/bigmos

http://www.doorhof.nl/blog/index.php?topic=1756.0

Maybe try renting the lens for a weekend, see if you like it? My local Sigma dealer deducts the rental fee from the

purchase price if I decide to buy a lens after trying it out.

• 9 months later...
Normally am not a gambler but it was a no-brainer to try the Sigma 120-400 zoom as my dealer said I could return it if not satisfied and it is just over half the price of the Canon 100-400. That being said I could not tolerate the Canon push and pull system.I used it also as a friend owns one and frankly, I hate it. I am not a sports photographer where I suspect it has its uses but if one is composing that is the worst way to have to deal with subtle adjustments. The Sigma on the other hand is the standard rotating zoom and focus rings and it works a treat. The construction is fantastic with no wobble whatsoever and the focus is very smooth and short from infinity to about 5 feet or less. The zoom is stiff but fine and I suspect that will loosen up over time. Now to the real issue..image quality. I used it with a 21 megapixel Canon 5DMk 2 so I can really tell you that the lens is amazingly good. Wide open at 400mm there is a slight roll off on resolution in the extreme corners but at f8 it is sharp right across the file. I work with image that are generally 36 inches and this lens produced snappy and sharp images with fine contrast and lovely bokeh. In  backlighted situations there is a little flare but this is just the way zoom lenses are what with so many elements but under more reasonably conditions this is not an issue. In fact, the flare is well controlled and can add a pleasant aspect ot the image if one is not a nut case about everything being just perfectly perfect. The lens at all zoom ranges was exemplary and as long as one stops down a stop the image quality hardly varies at all.There is no discernable pincushion or barrel distortion.  I actually set up a geometric flat object to make certain and it was wonderful. Interestingly, the old test of flatness of field so seldom done nowadays showed that the lens had amazingly good flatness of field and thus was in focus at the same time in the centre and the corners. It is a winner. With regards to OS or image stabilisation I consistently could hold this lens at 1/20 of a second shooting at 400mm and get perfectly sharp 36 inch prints with it. I did not believe it the first few times so I went outside and photographed a branch against the sky at infinity distance and all were as described..right on the money. I have read how some complained the lens did not focus rapidly. On the 5D MK2 focus was nearly instantaneous so long as the lens was in the general ball park of focus. It was nonetheless extremely fast going from inifinity to close up in any case. I think therefore that it is also about the camera lens combination rather than that the lens is inherently slow or fast at the AF. My experience is terrific in other words. The OS is quirky to be sure. One hears it and the image jerks as if having a short convulsion but it is one lurch and then it is uncannily LOCKED onto the image which is most intriguing. One surely knows that it is stabilised. The tripod mount is finger grooved but I haver large fingers so it is a tight squeeze for me and I am at the moment building a grip for it to attach under the lens as that really helps such a heavy piece of kit. I did a temp fix and proved it to myself so now I am making the effort to build a perfect grip since these seem to no longer exist on the market as they once did. I do not find that the OS runs the battery down particularly and I never change lenses with the camera on and so do not know if the warning about not doing this with OS running is really a serious threat to the lens health but I noted in another part of the same instructions a comment about a chatter sound if one removes the lens when it is running so maybe that is all that happens...I intend not to find out. Would I buy this lens again...darn straight I would. I am keeping it. It is not likely to be as sturdy over the life of its use than a Canon but Sigma comes with a ten year warrantee so who can complain about that? It is my first venture into Sigma territory by the way and I had my doubts as one can read all sorts of complaints. I feel however that many are based upon not a good understanding of camera lens practice. A long lens needs to be held rather very steadily for any decent test. I did my testing on a tripod using the timer to prevent any shake as I found at the long focal length that there was indeed shake when firing the camera with the release on a Manfrotto tripod of medium weight. It is after all a very heavy combination. It is a wonderful sharp and well designed and handsome piece of kit. Sigma should be proud of their efforts. Canon has some homework to do to beat it as in comparison, the Sigma was SHARPER at all settings than the Canon I compared it with. Your mileage may vary but that was my experience with but two lenses to compare.