Ashamed ...

As long as you are not taking pictures to make living take following steps:<P> 1: Take pictures to enjoy yourself and and make day for your friends and family <P> 2: If you notice flaws in pictures that make you unhappy, Learn to correct them next time <P> 3: Critique others tell them what you like and surely what you dislike that actually will help you. <P> 4: Take pictures of the things/activities you enjoy (I live where boat races and car racings are fads- I have no taste for them so I don't wast my time there ever except twice I went to Motor-cross racing just to learn how to capture the motor bike in the air once done I did not go back). <P> 5: Learn from others but don't aim to be 'them' instead be yourself and have all the fun.<P>

Laura. I did sports for a paper for about seven years. I got paid for it. I did weddings for a like period of time. I got paid for them. I think many of your baseball pictures are certainly something that my editor would have used without comment or criticism. They are quite good. All he really wanted was an identifiable local face and the ball in a picture that would illustrate a story. I shot a few thousand very mediocre pictures and got one or two really good ones. The same with my weddings. I shot a hell of a lot of technically sufficient but mostly just adequate pictures and got plenty of referrals. Most of us here, and I include myself, are adequate and average. Get a hold of your expectations. Unleash your curiosity about post processing. Take a lot of pictures, fill the frame and every once in a while you will surprise yourself with something you will have done. You apparently have the basics down. I was doing a swimming meet recently, I got what I thought was a stunning picture of someone doing the fly. However, when I tried to process it I found that the contrast was so bad I could not clear up the swimmers face. You'd think I would learn. Yet, remember, I still made money and have done a couple of pictures that won awards. I have resigned myself to ruthlessly editing and throwing most of my crap away. Or as my wife would say, "you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a handsome Prince".

Laura, it takes time and work. I for example have no ability to shoot nature or landscapes. I can shoot people and I am okay at

sports. Natural talent without skills get you good shots with no consistency. Natural talent with technique will get good images

consistency. It takes time develop technique. So shoot, shoot and shoot more. There are no short cuts to developing style and

technique.

Most people consider digital the best format on which to learn because of the immediacy of its feedback. But as Matt Laur

points out, a particularly important component of digital photography is post-processing. I learned on slide film, and there is

no such additional step like post-processing; what I shot is what I saw on the light table. While the feedback was not as

immediate, I think it was more honest. That said, there is nothing like the continual gathering of experience: take pictures,

analyze, ask for advice, read books (even if it's just to look at the pictures), go back to the same place multiple times and

try to get it better each time, and so on. Find what subject matter most interests you, and learn the post-processing

techniques that you will need for your style and subject matter. It just takes time and effort, and you should enjoy each

step along the way.

Laura, I don't usually respond to these type questions, so maybe I feel some of what you are feeling. First, I took a look at your portfolio, and I think you are doing fine. Keep shooting. Being at a crossroads, I would like to share a little about me. Last weekend I seriously thought about selling everything and just walking away from photography. I'm frustrated and tired. Week after week of shooting resulting in less than what I hoped for. Every trip my goal is to take my next keeper. Just 1, each week, would keep me going. It has been a long dry spell for me. I even went so far as to try different films, B&W, pinhole cameras, Holga, something to ignite the creativity. What I think I'm missing is some sort of project, something to give me a focus. Looking at your portfolio, I see that baseball is something that you seem to like and shoot. I happen to think you are doing a good job. Your effort has given me some inspiration. Don't worry so much about what other people, random folks might think, but rely on a few friends to bounce stuff off of. I have made some really cool Pnet friends, David Roossien, Walter Tatulinski, Jeff Grant, Leigh Perry, Carsten R, and others. The thing that makes these guys special to me is what they share, and that they take the time to drop me a critique now and again. THis is what I would miss If I gave up photography. So, needless to say, my D300 didn't end up at the bottom of Lake Michigan, which I had thought about doing for a brief second, and I hang my hat on that fact that I get to shoot and participate in one of the really cool places on the internet. I know this may have been a little bit of a rant, and my grammar is probably not the best, but I hope this helps in some way. Peace - Sean

Laura, you're doing fine. Looking at your work, there are some good shots. Sean and Stephen have both given you some

good advice. We live in a wonderful time where we can get immediate feedback in the field.

The only thing that I would add is that you need to practise feeling a place. This may sound weird but I don't care

if I go out and don't take one shot, it's a joy just to be out in the world. Technique is important but not nearly as important

as just looking and listening to a place. The joy of being alive in a beautiful location is all that I need. Photography is emotional response

first and everything else next.

Thank you so much for your responses. I am certainly more encouraged now than I was before. (Sean, I thank you

for sharing your frustration. I hope you are encouraged, too.) There’s a lot that I need to work on, but I now have a

better perspective.

First, I have to know what I enjoy. I’m not artsy, I simply want to capture a moment–not a run-of-the mill photo, but

something that will give new perspective and joy. The hay field thing was frustrating because I knew the balers would

come along and roll all the hay up and I would miss that moment (which I did).

Second, I have to take time to look at things in a new and different way–enjoy the moment. The hay has been rolled

and will soon be hauled off for storage. I went back to the field today, spent more than an hour looking, walking, and

shooting. One of my favorite shots came as I was walking to my car, turned around, and had one last look. I would

have missed it had not not take the time and just looked.

Third, I have to learn and master post-processing. I probably need a course in Capture NX. Charles suggested that I

start a new thread and let some of the PN mavens take a look at the images, Photoshop them (or better yet Capture

NX them), and explain their process. I think that’s a great idea. I’m a visual learner–show me, don’t tell me, how to

do something.

If you would be willing to give it a try, this is where I’ve posted: http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00QFaR

Again, thanks for all your input and encouragement. I hope it helps others who are struggling like me.

here is what sold me on Post Production.

1. autoadjust levels, contrast and color. little bit of adjusting curves

2. done.

3. way better picture.

4. I didn't need to know hardly anything to make a crappy picture nice

after that I really dug into PhotoShop and played around. I still use only the basics

but that small experiment showed me how to get the most from any picture.<div>00QFd5-58947584.thumb.jpg.d2d95c94df321aebc631b49d42d61b75.jpg</div>

Hello Laura,

I think you're beating yourself over the head quite needlessly, having looked at your portfolio, I think your basball shots are pretty good (at this point I have to point out I'm a Brit and that I don't know the game). You have some very good captures in there.

As your experience grows, you will just get better. Don't worry about there being others that you think are better; I photograph horses and I doubt if I'll ever be a Tim Flach or Kit Houghton. However, do look at how others work, and see if you can learn somerthing.

My 2p.

P

Laura I like a lot of photos in your gallery. I feel exactly the way you do a lot of times. I've been doing photography fairly seriously for about 2 years now. I'd like to think I have learned a lot in that time (my first real experience was jumping in the deep end on a trip to England with little idea of the sunny/16 rule and little concept of the interaction between aperature and shutter speed, thank god for negative film latitude). I feel like I am getting pretty decent at landscape photography and flower photography. I think I am learning quite a bit about people photography and starting to learn about wildlife photography.

I went from getting a roll of film back and having maybe half the pictures being framed okay with maybe a half way decent exposure and mildly interesting subject, to basically every picture coming back technically correct. Still on a given roll I probably have 6-8 pictures that are rather interesting and maybe 1-3 pictures that I would be really proud of. Its a lot better then I used to be, but I still feel anemic in terms of my skill level compared to a lot of photographers (especially on here as you mentioned).

I figure I'll keep learning and keep plugging away and hopefully one day I'll be truely happy with my skills on all fronts.

Laura,

Many folks have said things in some very eloquent ways, and they are all valid ways to look at the art of photography. There are so many extremely talented photographers here on P.N that I often feel like a kid in a candy shop with grubby hands and no pennies. I have learned a lot in the years I have been frequenting Photo.net. But I still feel my work is mediocre compared to a lot of the photographers here. So I shoot to please myself, as an amateur I have that privilege! Of course, it is nice when I feel great about an image (nice, but rare! lol) I think the vast majority of artists of all sorts are always looking for ways to improve their craft and better reproduce the feeling they are after in whatever final product they are creating.

I also visited your portfolio, and thought you have some good work there, especially your baseball set. Certainly you should not be ashamed. Just carry on, keep learning and shooting and enjoy the experience.

Best wishes,

Tammy

Laura

I have been taking photos for 20 years, and there are only 10-15 that I would show anyone else. It takes a very long time to learn the craft. and having looked at your own portfolio. I think you have some wonderful things to say photographically. Just keep on doing you thing!

Laura:

I had to check the name twice, and refer back to this forum, to be certain the "ashamed" individual was indeed the one with the wonderful portfolio. The only thing I can think of to "improve" your photos is an anti-depressant or a boost in reality testing and self-esteem. Your very, very good! Be proud of yourself. Your portfolio is exemplary.

Warmest regards,

Craig

As a working pro of over 35 years, I have accumulated a good deal of expertise. If you have a problem that is vexing you, or

looking for a review of your work, drop me a note and I will try to help you out. I can do this as time permits, so be patient and I will

try to get back to you in a reasonable amount of time.

As a working pro of over 35 years, I have accumulated a good deal of expertise. If you have a problem that is vexing you, or

looking for a review of your work, drop me a note and I will try to help you out. I can do this as time permits, so be patient and I will

try to get back to you in a reasonable amount of time.<div>00QHuU-59619684.jpg.a68fb395383df87e6ed453548aad6351.jpg</div>

Thank you, EVERYONE, for the time you took in helping me along this week. I am going to print this thread, re-read it, and keep it as future instruction.

I've tried to play around in post-production using Capture NX. I can now see that it is an important part of getting a picture from the camera to print. Sometimes it just takes a small adjustment to make the colors "pop". Sometimes nothing can be done and I just have to accept that it wasn't a good photo to begin with. Matt, your visual showing the uses of color points has been very helpful.

I've posted some new pictures (and I wouldn't be embarassed if you look at them), using some of the techniques you've mentioned. None are good enough for rating, YET, but the longer I practice with both the camera and the computer, the better I'll get. I still need to get something that will calibrate my monitor, but everything is moving in the right direction. I so appreciate your helpful suggestions, tips, and critiques.

Thanks PN members, you're the best.

Hi Laura,

I think your sports photos are very good, and the Douglas home is my favorite. I agree with Doug about the best light of the day. I often think the way you do, but I keep trying and most everyone on PN will always try to help and encourage you.

Regards

Carol

hey laura - i went to one of the best photo schools in the country - graduated in 80. I can tell you this .... i knew guys that could harness the technical aspects of photography like making developer and adding this and that to modify, graphing results so it looked perfect on paper, densotometric readings were lunchtime conversation, etc, etc. But, low and behold, getting a cereal box to look good in a camera frame was their challenge. They had the technical skills but lacked vision. If you see the image in your head you will be able to execute with a minimal of trail and error. Using digital gear still means making correct exposures and setting the correct light balance - or not! Its all about the image in your head ... you can exquisitely record reality or you can break the rules and record what you see in your mind. keep showing your stuff, but remember, if you like your art, it doesn't much matter what others think. there are some fine photogs here and if they offer constructive critism be grateful and use what you can.

Re: Pete Mills Comment:

He's absolutely correct. What you'll encounter - fortunately rarely - is one or two people who downgrade every decent photo they see. Then again, you'll post something a little edgey, and get a spectrum of ratings from 3's to 7's. You're clearly ready to post...just be cool about the numbers. Remember you're dealing with thousands of people, from many cultures, and it's the rare photo which strikes everyone as congenial. My advice is to connect with a mentor - directly, through E-mail - someone or a few folks who seem to take an interest in your work, and, if they are professionals or talented amateurs, in most cases they'll take you under their wing(s). One of my mentors has modified two of my photos with PS, vastly improving them, and giving me supurb guidance. The vast majority of PN subscribers are well intended, and enjoy being helpful and supportive. One individual I correspond with is a pre-eminent photographer - Franz Sauer - and , while a busy professional, he follows my work, comments - and I get to write to him in German ( He's Austrian). Another whom I've followed, and who reciporicates, is Jeff Lee, a brilliant professional. Get into the fray, ignore the obviously low-ball ratings , and connect with folks who have a vision similar to yours ( and you are quite accomplished ). That's the best part of PN - the personal relationships you establish. DO NOT live and die by ratings. They're arbitrary. Become part of the commuity, and establish direct contact with the best practitioners you find. You'll likely be surprised by the interest they take in you. I'm by no means an expert, but if you just want some moral support, drop me a line. But get into it...don't wait until you've mastered the craft. At that point, you won't have much reason to bother with PN - you'll be exhibiting and doing gigs. All the best, C. Unger, M.D.