Robotic Panoramas

Creating stitched panoramics made easy: A simple robotic device attaches to a tripod and a camera then takes

enough pictures to be able to stitch them into a panorama. The device does all of the moving and clicking! Now

if they add a time delay before it starts I could have some incredibly beautiful panoramic sunrise shots!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/technology/20novel.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin

I suppose if you're doing huge mosaics (say 15 frames wide by 4 frames deep), automation would be quite useful for those 60 frames. It would also probably be faster and more accurate than doing it manually.

If you're just doing the typical "3 frames wide" panoramic shot, then it's a bit overkill.

What it really needs is an accompanying software package that would be able to record the alt/az coordinates of each image and use those to automagically construct the final image from the set without any additional user input. Maybe that does exist, and the reporter just neglected to mention it. Otherwise, it seems to me they are automating the easier part of the procedure and leaving the hard part to the user.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the point is being missed. What might take several hours of panning and firing could be done automatically. For example. I just spent 5 days in the Nepal. I used my telephoto lens and spend hours firing away and adjusting the camera to the next segment. I took over 250 photos and a software package stitched them together. Making sure that I had enough overlapping segments was taxing. Your right, I could have done the same thing with a wide angle lens with a single shot but then I would have missed out on all of the detail that I captured.