How to solve Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 veiling flare and more

alffastar

• 5 months later...

<p>I didn't read all the responses, so this may be a dupe.</p>

<p>Some older lenses, particularly zooms, develop a gradual build-up of grime and haze on the internal elements (smoke, dust, oil, etc.). This leads to worsened veiling glare. A good CLA can greatly improve the problem.</p>

<p>Note Vesselin's followup post on Jul 28, 2008; 04:13 a.m., confirming that his sample of the lens was fogged. So the flare he described was *not* inherent to the design of the 35-70/2.8 AF Nikkor.</p>

<p>I've mentioned before that I've used the 35-70/2.8D AF Nikkor in all kinds of adverse lighting conditions that would exploit any tendencies toward flare: into the low angle sun; at night with emergency responder lights in the frame; bright overcast days; candlelight indoor events.</p>

<p>The only type of flare I've seen is ghosting flare and that only at night in photographing emergency responders at fires. In each case the ghosting flare occurred only when the bright light source was at one far end/corner of the frame, with the colored flare "ghost" visible on the opposite side/corner of the frame (typically greenish). I'll attach an example from a recent nighttime fire.</p>

<p>I took more than 100 photos at this recent fire and this ghosting flare occurred in only one frame. In a previous event, at which time I took hundreds of photos, I saw this type of ghosting flare two or three times - it may have been aggravated by the foggy conditions. But no problems whatsoever with veiling flare.</p><div>00SHG2-107439784.jpg.0a86a3c6ffedd7093bd23b1139e271e4.jpg</div>

• 2 years later...

<p>Good day,<br>

After I read this set of discussion, I just realize that I also got the same issue for my 35-70 which I bought 10 months ago. I took it to the nikon service center, however, they can't fix it. It's so sad.<br>

<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4132879">Vesselin Iossifov</a>, what u do with your lense?</p>