70-200

commtrd

I use it on everything from portrait-ish situations to sports to wildlife. The lens is tremendous across its range, and I use it everywhere from 70 to 200. Sometimes with a TC to extend it when I need the reach and don't mind a bit of compromise on sharpness and speed. If I had to pick focal lengths where, statistically, I seem to use it the most... it's all the way out at 200, or back around 120. But I got it to use it as a zoom, and that's just how I use it.

I was just about ready to buy a 70-200 and then I saw shots out of the 200mm prime f2.0. I want the length for

weddings, wildlife, portraits, etc. That's why I was wondering what most people use on focal range MOSTLY with this

lens. I know that it comes down to exactly what the lens is being used for; my 24-70 should be here tomorow and

kicking around the idea of getting the 200 f2 because I suspect that would be what I would most use on the 70-200

anyway. I borrowed this lens once and used it at a church function for portraits and it seemed like a really great lens

for the little time I got to spend with it. Mostly used from 150 to 200mm then. Used on a DX body (D300). The

200mm prime is a little more costly...

Keith I see no logic behind your question. Does it really help you if 56% of the people use 70-90mm 76% of the

time and YOU need it at 200mm ?

I use the lens on different occasions at different focal length. Even on the same occasion I use it differently

that is the whole point of a zoom. If you use a lens at one focal length then why not use a prime?

I recently

shot a bike race. At position one I shot at the 70mm end because I needed the VR for slow shutter speeds and

motion blur. I really wanted a wider lens but my 35-70 has no VR. 30 minutes later I had moved 100 yards away and

used

the zoom at the long end

because It was a better spot since the sun moved.and I got problems with back-light. An hour later I went to a

third spot and used more or less the entire zoom range following the bikers as they approached me. Go and figure

which zoom part is more important :-)

Walter thanks for that input. That is precisely what I was looking for. Plus I knew the big lens weighs 6 pounds. I

really don't have a way to rent lenses where I live so trying to surmise what best to get without using one beforehand.

This really helps me make up my mind about exactly what I need...the flexibility to do just what you said is very

important. Thanks.

Keith.... If you are concerned about weight and think you'll always be at the long end of the 70-200, consider the

180mm AF f/2.8 or f/2.8D lens (IF you'll use flash a lot you'll probably prefer the D version). Both versions are

stunning optically, and featherweight compared to the 70-200 or 200 f/2.

When I first got the lens I tended to use it right at 200mm all the time, because it was my best long (ish) lens. Now, I've learned

that it really is a great all around lens. Like everyone else, it really depends on the application. I LOVE how this lens works in

the middle region, like 100-120mm. It is usually on my camera unless I want the micro short DOF of one of my primes or

something wide or really wide.

There are better values in lenses. But imho, no better zooms in this range or anything close.