Canon 300mm f4 IS + 1.4 extender or 400mm f5.6

wisdom_tong

i'm researching on a new purchase between the 300mm IS + 1.4 extender and 400mm f5.6.

I mainly shoot motorsport and wildlife. I'm concerned about image quality and AF speed.

I would love to hear about the user's feedback on these option.

Many thanks for all feedback

I have the 300 f/4 IS and the 1.4X and love it. I love the flexibility and find I use the 300 alone 60-70% of the time.

I find very little degradation in either the auto-focus or the image quality with the 1.4X. I agonized over the choice between these same two combinations. The flexibility and the IS made the decision in favor of the 300.

The IS is a huge plus.

Although I have the 400mm f5.6L, in your case I would opt for the 300mm/ 1.4 TC combination for flexibility. The TC will slow down the AF speed so keep that in mind for motorsports. Aside from the 100-400mm mentioned, an even better choice is obviously the 300mm f2.8L IS if you can afford it.<div>00QEQH-58583584.thumb.jpg.3ab38139b7e56e639d3f99acdc802f08.jpg</div>

Hi,

Perhaps more important than the question about which camera you'll be using it on it also matters what other lenses you already have in your kit.

For example, if you already have a 70-200, add a 1.4X and you'll have close to a 300.

Otherwise, I'd get the 300 + 1.4 for two reasons: This gives you two very useful focal lengths instead of just one. And, it has IS, which is very useful on longer lenses.

The main things that have kept me from buying the 100-400 are the variable aperture and the push-pull zoom design. Other than that, and those are personal preferences, it might be just the ticket.

Hi Wisdom. I'm just got started with DSLR Canon gear about a year and a half ago. I also agonized over this exact issue. I finally decided (based on reviews and on comments by the knowledgeable folks here) that the 300mm 4.0 with the 1.4 extender was a better option (for me) than the 400mm 5.6, primarily for the IS. For the shooting I do (mainly wildlife), the IS is invaluable as much of what I do is hand held. I have no regrets. Even as a beginner, I'm constantly amazed at the shots that the lens/extender combination is capable of acquiring. I seldom use my 300 without the extender attached. As far as focus speed, if the focus is close when the button is depressed, it's really quick. However, if it needs to cycle through the entire range to establish focus, it takes a bit of time. The only time I find that a problem is shooting birds in flight. I tend to shoot with only the center focus point enabled. If my aim is not good and I have only sky as a background, the focus cycles a fair amount before locking. This issue is mine, not a fault of the lens. I'd certainly recommend the 300 with the 1.4X.

Another advantage of the 300/4 IS compared to the 400/5.6 is the MFD. This allows small subjects to be imaged without extension tubes, add a extension tube or two for more magnification, the close MFD means you then have a wider magnification range using the focus ring than with a lens like the 400/5.6.

The 400/5.6 is probably the lens to go for if you are heavily biased towards birds and can operate with a tripod in poor light.

From what you say I would think the 300/4 IS is probably more applicable to you.

Randy, Lester,

all of the benefits you mention of the 300mm (+ TC) apply automatically to the 100-400mm and - as I believe my Mandrill shot above indicates - sharpness and IQ from the 100-400mm are *not* issues.

It certainly isn't true to say that IQ from the 300mm or 400mm primes will be better *simply because they're primes* - I consider the monkey to hold up *very well* in terms of sharpness and IQ, to Bryan's Minah bird...