Radio triggering SB-600

rubens_t_vora

I use a Pocket Wizard with by SB-600, hooked up with a "PW-MHSF1" cable - 1/8" jack on one end that goes into the

Pocket Wizard, and a hot-shoe on the other. I made a shim out tape (with a hole poked in it) to get the SB-600 to stay in

the hot-shoe. You could also crimp down the rails with pliers or a sledgehammer (ok, maybe not), but I'm too cowardly to

try that (it's not a cheap cable).

If you want to use the Nikon CLS, then you need a commander flash (built-in on the D200/D300, probably other models; or

a SB-800/900), or something like the SD-800 IR unit. They're not radio, though, but there are some radio units that will do

CLS (Radio Poppers I think do that)

Pocket Wizards are probably the best, and priced accordingly. 100% reliable in my experience, triggering remote flash units and the camera itself out to 100 yards even through a moderate stand of trees. When there's too much separation between CLS flash units for the TTL flash to work, the Pocket Wizards will still function in manual mode.

But there are many lower priced options now. Check for opinions from folks who actually own and have used those long enough to shake out the bugs.

You don't say how far away you want the flash or if you are doing it indoors or out, and that makes a difference. Just going on the limited info you gave I'll give you some general suggestions. At one time the Pocket Wizards were the only game in town if you wanted something reliable. Now, the Elinchrome Skyports ($105 each) are every bit as reliable but have only ~500 ft. range instead of 1600 ft. There's a new product out there, Paul Buff CyberSync. These seem to be working very well also, have a range of 350 ft. (can be doubled to 700 ft. with a repeater) and cost $70 each. I have x8 of the Skyports and they have been 100% reliable for me, even when it's 28 below zero. (I only photo outdoors.) I use them on my SB-800 plus nine SB-28 flash. If you go the radio trigger route, a fancy flash like the SB800/600 is a waste of money since they will not TTL anyway. I don't think the SB-600 has a PC port. If not, just buy a hotshoe adapter that has one and use that. The Skyports, PW, and CyberSyncs all need miniplug to PC cords.

Kent in Californy

It's true there is no sync port to plug into on the 600, What you need is a 1' hot shoe to 3.5 mini cable made by paramount. <a href=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421306-REG/Paramount_PMMHSF1_Miniphone_to_Female_Hot.html/> Like this one</a>.<p/>

You put your 600 in the shoe and plug the end into your pocket wizard and attach another pocket wizard to the camera, if you are using pocket wizards. The shoe will work for all speedlights but make sure the other end will plug into you receiver/tranceiver.

Hope this helps