SLRs & DSLRs Banned at Beijing Olympics?

bob_camarena

I've been unable to find any independent corroboration of information given on Popular Photography's website

concerning SLRs and DSLRs being banned from Beijing Olympic venues except for those carried by "credentialed

photographers". Here's a <a href="http://beijing2008.popphoto.com/2008/07/slr-cameras-onl.html"> web page with the information</a>.

<p>

Does anyone have any information on this?

<p><b>Moderator: Discussion is on the issue of photographic equipment, not the government of China. Please post responses relevant to the question.</b>

In part, this may be because they want to prevent slr's from being a nuisance to other spectators, as the claim. They may also want to ensure that only their accredited photographers provide the media with photos.

In the UK, some of the bigger indoor events have the same rule.

I'm sure there are many reasons to go. For me, it's simple, a family member is competing for the US team.

Regardless of what one thinks of China, there are athletes from all over the world for whom this is a

once-in-a-lifetime experience and I hope that it's a good one for them. I do have my fingers crossed that

China's efforts to reduce pollution will be successful.

Be warned - not only the Olympics but travelling to mainland China cities can presently be a problem with camera equipment. I just flew to Jinan from Hong Kong on 7/11 and had two cameras 'confiscated' [Canon EOS and Pentax PE3 SLR + lens + light meter + card reader etc] in Jinan – I was told that there is currently a new law in place in China that runs throughout the Olympics that if your camera ‘looks’ professional it will be confiscated by customs (and returned on departure). Unless you have a government permit. They wanted to take all my camera equipment but I battled with them and they allowed me to hold on to one -- I chose the hasselblad (but was left without my light meter).

Ironically you can of course go purchase or rent another camera once there! I rented a Nikon DSLR w/lens, memory card, 2 batteries, charger and card reader for 1,000RMB + 4,000RMB deposit for one week.

My friend Yao Li - a local Chinese student - also had his regular digital camera confiscated in Beijing when flying from Jinan.

I just got back this morning - cameras returned at Jinan customs all intact... I travel every few months to Jinan from Hong Kong and this is the first time this has happened. there are no 'warnings' as such and I just googled "China camera restrictions" and found no information.

I thought this was a joke when I first started reading this thread but after a few recent conversations with a friend in Tibet, I'm not surprised. I'm planning to go to a noted ice sculpture festival in Harbin (NE China) in January mainly to try my hand at photographing the massive sculptures. Now I'm wondering if they'll put camera in the deep freeze while I'm there.

Point well taken Tim.

Please revisit Zach's post, which has been updated with links to ticketing language that reflects the photo ban since this post originally appeared.

And feel free to drop him a line from the email link on that page for direct questions--he's been great at turning queries into posts so far.

Jack Howard

Editor

PopPhoto.com

I re-visited Zach's PopPhoto.com posting as suggested and the info is still somewhat vague in that the prohibition language lists "Any unauthorized professional photography equipment" under the heading "Restricted or Prohibited Items and Behaviours." Zach's initial take after talking with Olympic officials is that this would include SLRs and DSLRs which still seems to be the case so it sounds like it will be pretty unpredictable and possibly up to whoever is manning the gate when you enter, which isn't a risk I'm willing to take.

Ok so I can almost live with not having my D80 and bag of lenses in the Olympic venues themselves... however crap that is.

But it's the comments from Jo Farrell that really concern me. I'm sure many people, like me, will want to enjoy China more broadly when they travel there, and use good equipment to take images of the Great Wall, entombed warriors, Forbidden City, and the rest of the craziness that is that country. If there is a risk of confiscation at the gate to the country, not just the specific Olympic venues, then that really is something quite alarming.

Any further information on this would be much appreciated as this time next week I will be in the air on my way there, with an original plan which included my D80, possibly 4-5 lenses including the not inconspicuous 80-200/2.8, tripod, flash, data storage device, etc. I think that setup will be rapidly revised to a more minimalist one if these sorts of warnings are proven to be valid...

I was there last week, and carried my D300 w/ 3 lenses with me almost all the time. Nothing really happened. It seems that they are banning DSLRs carried by the spectators/fans/non-photojournalists at the events; the rules are actually somewhat similar to rules at events like the Superbowl.

I don't think an ordinary traveler not going to attend the Olympics' event(s) should worry too much. Despite all the craziness, there's really no proof that cameras are banned from entering the country, or are confiscated on the streets. Nevertheless, I must point out that they are getting quite freaked out about security in general.

I think this is all getting blown out of proportion! I recently flew from HK to BJ with my D300 and 3 lenses and

had no problems at all. On Chinese forums people say the D300 is fine for the Olympics, but I think there might

be a limit to 300mm for zoom lenses and no tripods allowed. Apparently the Olympic Committee was interviewed in

China and they said their rules for cameras hasn't changed and it's just the same as in previous games.

I hope people who are going don't end up leaving there best cams at home or in the hotel room just to get there

and find themselves surrounded by DSLRs!!

<p>I live in China and the latest news on Chinese forums is:</p>

<p>1) No video cameras</p>

<p>2) No tripods</p>

<p>3) No lenses over 300mm</p>

<p>4) Flash photography only allowed during the opening and closing ceremonies</p>

<p>5) No photography at all during certain events, but not clear what the specific events are</p>

<p>Apparently the Olympic Committee have said the rules haven't changed and it's the same as for previous Games.</p>

<p>People say the D300 is fine, as that's the camera I have, so there shouldn't be any problems with any SLRs or

DSLRs. They're just worried about people obstructing other people's view.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

• 1 month later...

Below is a message from my friend Cezary Raczko (he presently lives in China). When you look at his Olympics

images, it appears he used a SLR with a longer

then 300mm lens.<br>

<br>

"I've had the good fortune of being able to spend my weekends in Beijing during the Olympics. Those of you who

know me also know that I'm a keen photographer and as you can imagine, even though I don't usually shoot sports,

I could not pass on such an opportunity. <br>

<br>

I took some pictures and I thought I would share my favorites with all of you so I put together a little

slideshow from the 9 events I attended over those 3 weekends. You can find it <a

href=">http://www.crphotography.net/public/CezaryBeijing2008.pps" rel="nofollow"> here</a>."