For everyone still wondering "why bother shooting RAW?"

photo_dark

Just for the sake of messing around, I took an image where my flashes didn't fire and decided to see how much

detail can be pulled from the original either in RAW or JPG... just to see exactly how much information is lost

in the JPG conversion.

This is an EXTREME example, but the results should give you an idea of what kind of information is preserved by

shooting RAW vs shooting JPG.<div>00QCh0-57915784.jpg.f12a9540fab059596a763a868e055b9a.jpg</div>

Uhm... the answer of course is:

Shoot RAW when you think the picture is important enough that you want more options to save it or make it better.

And everybody's view no the importance of a picture differs.

That said: Wow, impressive difference.

Matthijs.

Jpeg shooters nowadays are the professionals whose photos need to be sent to a newspaper/magazine right away without post editing. Time-sensitive photos I mean. Of course, if you are a landscape pro, it is always better to shoot with RAW.

Shooting with raw does not prenvent one getting a JPG at the same time. When CF card was expensive, one might worry about storage capacity. Now it's not an issue (in most of cases), I don't see any reason not shooting with raw (One always has an option to throw raw away if JPG is good enough).

This is a different sort of case from anything I've done, but I've found a significant difference in sharpness between RAW and JPG images of the same frame. Due to the size of the files, though, I still shoot JPGs routinely and save RAW for when I'm making photographs as opposed to just taking pictures......

"Rather than shooting RAW this strikes me more as good reason to get exposure right in the first place. All the pics are unusable IMO."

Well, of course one should try to get it right the first time, and of course these pictures are unusable.

The point here is that the JPEG is not merely badly underexposed. It is so badly underexposed that it seems to show NO data. If one can pull this much data out of a JPEG that is such a wreck, think what one could do with one that was underexposed by, say, three stops.

By the way, the adjustments of brightness (among other things) in RAW after the fact are very simple to do, in case one has never done them. Perhaps a generation is coming along that says "ho-hum" to all of this, but for me it is absolutely astonishing that I can get home from shooting and say, "Underexposed? No problem." Imagine doing that and saying that just a few years ago. It is like getting a second chance to get the shot right.

--Lannie

This example demonstrates that an unusable photo shot in RAW is slightly less unusable in jpg. That doesn't seem to be a good proof of anything. A good proof would be a photo that was not usable in jpg but looked terrific when processed from RAW. Come back with something that shows that and we have a good example. Otherwise, this is just a good example for forensics.

The point is the amount of extra data that is captured with the RAW file. As I have said many times, it is not

about "repairing" an image, but often haveing the extra data to give more flexability in post processing. This allows

me to "finish" the image with a much higher level of control and greater options, not "repair" it. We are not just

capturing light here, we are captureing data, and the more the data the better, not just for exposure, but every

asspect of image quality.

Example, took some photos for the company I work at for their new web site. I shot in RAW. Several of the shots

were bracketed for the purpose of HDR. I loaded the image into the HDR software and tone mapped it(this is the

realistic type of HDR, not crazy fake looking stuff). I out putted to 8 bit tiffs thinking they are for the web so that

should be more than good enough. Once loaded back into lightroom I applied the same preset that I had used on

some RAW images to give the nice rich blue skys that they wanted. With the 8 bit Tiffs the sky started to band

rather badly in many images. There was just to much info lost in the 8 bit file to give the look that I needed/wanted.

The raw files had no problem. The sky looked about the same in each image before the preset was applied.

For what it is worth, I was shooting with 17-40 f4 (no polorizer) and a 5D.

Jason

If RAW holds more information than a converted jpg then it seems to me than the camera algorithm is not using the data available correctly. In this case it is the shadow detail that has been 'recovered' by using the RAW converter. Why can't the camera jpg algorithm make use of this data?

Jeff....

This post was meant as an example of how much information is actually available in a RAW file to those who either don't use it, or don't understand it. It's like going to your great aunt's house and she brings out her wedding photo album and puts it on the coffee table.

Like it or not, it's just a conversation piece :)

@ Geoff.

Of course the pictures are unusable... In case you hadn't noticed the umbrella to the right that didn't fire. I was trying out some new lighting gear and my friend was the unlikely target of my trials :)

@ Jason

That is exactly the case. I'm finding more and more that I am trying to stretch the 16bit file format as far as I can. I try to do all the corrections I can in lightroom if they are needed, then still export as a 16bit Tiff so I have a little extra wiggle room in photoshop before I finally make the conversion to 8bit for final changes.

I always shoot RAW I'm not good enough to know when a photo has turned out till I get it home on the PC and look at it if it wasnt for RAW I would have a lot of cruddy photos. (Course even then most my pictures are sub par if not total junk)