How do you store your gear

ben_cops

Hi all

Where do you store all your gear? Like most of you I have a bunch of cameras, half a dozen lenses, bits and

bobs, flashes, etc - its all just hanging round on shelves or in various bags and really I'd like to store it

somewhere organised. Some sort of box\case that could sit on a shelf for easy access, be closable to keep out

dust, lockable to keep out kids, and potentially transportable if needbe.

I've been looking at the peli cases as they seem to fit the bill butI think they're a bit... overkill perhaps

although something along those lines would be good. Also they probably wouldn't open easily if on a shelf.

Any ideas?

cheers

Ben

It's a tradeoff between accessibility and protection. My lesser used cameras and lenses are on a glass protected shelf. The more commonly used are in one of my bags. I usually keep two camera bodies at the ready with a 70-200 VR on one and a macro lens on the other. My 500 f/4 sits on a chair beside my desk. Why? I just don't know a better place for it at the moment, and putting it away in its case is a bother!

I too have various cases but I store a lot of my lesser used camera bodies and lenses in a very large shoulder bag

(i.e. Tamrac 614). It is too heavy to carry around (I'm not a NFL player) but it works for me as a storage case and

can be easily moved a short distance. Another alternative is to use a roller / rolling case. They're easy to move and

large. Lastly, a large photo backpack is also easy to move and can hold a lot of gear.

My very frequently used equipment generally lives in small easy to get at cases that are very portable.

I accumulate cameras and lenses, but I'm not a collector. I use an office storage unit with three drawers, a top cabinet, and a side cabinet with shelves.

I use cheap metal boxes from IKEA ($6 for two) to organize the stuff on the shelves, and keep the dust off. Inside them I use rolled-up new cotton teatowels for padding. I prefer not to have cheap plastic or foam around my lenses, and I don't like to leave stuff in camera bags. Maybe this is obsessive, given that I don't have any expensive gear.

A small general kit is in a ready bag, Leica+ 35/50/90 or my D40+18/138. This usually is with me always.

Other items are well hidden in case of theft with some older stuff left out easily found as a token gift to burglars. No I don`t live in

a bad area, but one never knows. I never leave things in hotel rooms or cars. I leave a large cash gift out also.

If you have ever seen what determined burglars will do, you understand my precautions.

Some easily replaceable items are in a locked commercial quality file cabinet.

The surplus/collectable in in a 12x16x24 safety deposit box in a bank that does not have them below grade. OLD heavy stone

bank likely to survive a tornado. They are not made this way anymore. First thing they do now is dig a hole and burry the safe, then build the bank

on top. Water is the enemy.