POWER OF SB400

david_achille

Hi

I was asking myself if anyone tried using the Nikon SB400 + Stofen diffuser for Wedding photos using high ISO

settings such as ISO 400 or 800 on a D300.

This would compensate for the low Guide no and the D300 having a very low noise performer, that would be a light

but efficient alternative to the more powerful but more cumbersome speedlights (SB600 or Sb800)

Could I have you comments please.

David

With a f2.8 lens, you would be able to get away with it for closer subjects, but like Matt, I would not recommend it. For best results, you still want to shoot at lower ISOs with the D300, especially at a wedding, especially if you were getting paid for the work.

David, if you are a professional wedding photographer, i.e. you are getting paid to capture images from your clients' big day, you should have the proper flash. The SB-400 is weak to begin with and any additional light modifier will be a major problem.

I looked at the SB-400 (I'm not shooting weddings) but concluded that it isn't enough more powerful than the on board flash to be worthwhile. I don't need all the features of the SB-800 so went with the SB-600. It's more flexible and a lot more powerful than the SB-400.

I agree with most that the SB400 is not powerful or versatile enough for pro or semi-pro use such as for a wedding.

However it is my flash of choice for light travelling, and with a sto-fen attached. Indeed, though I'll probably get gasps of horror for saying this, I find that the lack of vertical tilt is not too much of a limitation with the sto-fen and lower power of this flash unit. That is to say, unless I am very near the subject, the diffuser - along with a little WB and exposure adjustment - usually results in a perfectly good shot even with the flash head set to direct or at most 45 deg.

David,

6 months ago, when I just came in DSLR, I also asked for help in choosing a flash, SB400 or 600 or 800.

Many people here in this forum advised me to get the SB600. I agreed, went to my local photo shop then changed my mind when I saw the bulbky SB-600. I got the SB400 instead. That's my mistake!

You know, I returned the SB-400 after 3 days because the weak power output, also the SB400 was not high enough for long lenses like my 18-200 (or 70-200), also can not bounce ceiling when the camera is in horizontal dimension. I always bounce the flash when possible.

All of those 3 problems made me exchange the SB-600 and never look back. In addition,I will get a SB-800 someday.