IR Photography with the 18-200

dave_l.

Right now I do IR photography with prime lenses and a 52mm R72 filter. I get good results, but I take most of my IR

pictures out in the backcountry and I'm trying to shed weight and not have to change lenses so often in dirty

climates. To this end, I'd like to try using my 18-200 VR lens with a 77mm R72 filter. It would be used primarily on

a D200, but possibly a D40x as well.

Has anyone tried these combinations? I haven't heard any reports of IR hotspots or ghosts with the 18-200 lens, but

there's not a lot out there. If anyone has IR experience with the Tokina 12-24 that would be great too, but I'm pretty

sure that lens has IR hotspot problems.

Thanks!

Andy, I keep hearing mixed reports on the new Tokina 11-16 in IR. Some say it doesn't hotspot nearly as much as the 12-24 -- others disagree. Would you say it is any better (at a given aperture) than the 12-24 on your set up?

Dave L. I have heard really good reports about the new 16-85mm. Again, see Bjorn's comments: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_01.html#AFS16-85EDGVR.

In my experience, if you don't remove the IR filter from front of the CCD (light blue color). You will get a weak IR photo and take very long exposure time.

You also need calibrate the lens with your camera. IR light focusing is different than normal light.