SB 800 Misfires

paul_fialon

I've seen this problem posted before but have never seen a definitive answer to the following possible solution:

I've used an SB 800 with my D200 for about the past year now. As time has gone by a non-existent misfiring

problem has turned into an all too common occurrence. My SB 800 misfires so often now I'm using one of my SB

600's that I have primarily as one of my CLS flashes as my main flash. The question that I have regards a

possible problem / solution I've read...

It was suggested that a number of hotshoes on the D200 didn't fit the SB 800 as well as they should have. A

solution was given to mount the flash on a bracket and connect a more securely fitting SC-29 on the hotshoe.

Does anyone know if this is a solution to the misfiring problem?

Much thanks in advance!

Just an FYI - I've tried every fix I could think of short of sending the flash back to Nikon; cleaning the

battery contacts, cleaning the flash / hotshoe contacts, using fresh and fully charged batteries, so forth...

Thanks again!!!

Sounds like a mismatch between the flash and camera. With all those tiny contacts it's a wonder they ever work. While I've never had a problem with my SB-800 on the D2H or even FM2N and F3HP (in auto aperture or manual mode), I have occasionally had problems getting a mere two contacts to mate reliably between the FM2N or F3HP and older Nikon SB-10 and Vivitar auto-thyristor flashes. Sometimes the flash-ready light contact won't connect.

There may be some adjustments Nikon could make, or perhaps replace the shoe to ensure reliable contact.

Otherwise, the bracket and cord may be the better solution.

I had the same issue with my D200s (3). Nikon tech support told me is was a result of static electricity and 'normal'. I am using my same SB-800 on my D300 have never had the condition once.

Trying a flash bracket sounds like a good idea.

If any Nikon employee tells me that this is normal, I would get in touch with their management.

No reputable company is going to consider this problem as acceptable.

I would definitely send it back to Nikon for repair, hopefully under warranty.

Shun, I thought it odd too, yet all three of my D200s did it and I have read of many others having the same

experience. My D200s worked perfectly otherwise and the flash worked fine as well except for firing a weak flash

when I touched certain areas of the camera. I have taken thousands of flash shots with my D300 with the same

well used SB-800 and it functions perfectly.

While overall I find Nikon tech support extremely helpful (I have called them many times), this is only one of

two incidents that I felt they were not able to assist me.

It would be interesting if Paul's problem is eliminated through the use of a flash bracket and off camera cord.

I don't recall if my D200's worked any better with the bracket.

I haven't experienced that problem with my SB-800 on the D200, but my D200 has always been a backup camera that I don't use much. Using a flash bracket may hide the problem, but you should not be forced to use that approach (although a bracket has advantages such that you might want to use that regardless). For example, if you want to sell your SB-800 later on, you should disclose this issue and that may affect your ability to sell it. If you hide it, which is unethical to begin with, the buyer may discover the problem and demand a refund.

One way or another, this is not an acceptable bug. I would definitely get it fixed unless you have to pay a lot of money for the repair.

Paul, I had the same problem with my D200 and SB-800. I have used the same SB-800 unit with a D70 and now a D300 and the misfiring has never occurred. I sent the D200 and the SB-800 to Nikon for repair, I can't remember what they did now but it did not correct the problem. I am skeptical they know how to fix the problem at all. If memory serves me correctly I never saw the misfiring occur I was using my SC-28.

Chris