How To Handle This (Tactfully)?

It is interesting that, of the many respondents to this thread, a couple that stand out are truly exemplary

professionals: Vince Tylor of <a href="http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/" ><i>Hawaiian LandMark Images</i></a>,

and Quang-Tuan Luong of <a href="http://www.terragalleria.com/" ><i>TerraGalleria</i></a>. I think that it

would be a pretty fair statement to say that there are not too many in this business, or on this site, who have

not heard of these two gentlemen. What is also interesting is that both of these guys have the confidence in

themselves and in their art to answer a question from someone less experienced. Just maybe that is why they do so

well themselves.<br><br>

For myself, if I can help someone along the way then my day is complete. I never felt that keeping knowledge to

oneself ever benefited anyone. My Dad, when I was very young, used to tell me how his colleagues would guard the

information that they possessed and, being insecure in their own positions, would shy away from helping the

newcomer. He told me that this was not a gentlemanly thing to do and that instead of guaranteeing one's own

success that it would have the opposite effect because it would hurt others.<br><br>

I understand that we all may feel that we know something special that could be considered a "trade secret" that

is essential for our unique look but, to be realistic, this "something special" is not the kind of knowledge that

could be picked-up by asking a question or two, or even ten or a hundred. It is, rather, as Jeff Spirer (another

successful Pro) mentioned above, the result of a long, hard struggle over years of development of one's own

unique individual style. <i>This</i> is what actually has worth and is ultimately marketable.<br><br>

I can also understand and appreciate the desire to gain reward for this long struggle. If part of the reward is

to be accomplished through a mentoring course then it would be good advertising and a prudent business practice

to <i>not</i> withhold information. Certainly it is possible for you to steer this eager person to enroll in your

course. The knowledge you have is simply too vast, too subtle to be communicated by just answering some

questions; it requires a commitment on the part of the neophyte to enroll in your course for the intensive

training that you offer. Regards.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the responses (yeah my response will probably dupe what someone has already said)

My response is usually " I forget what I did on most of my shots because I am focused on getting the shot. I recommend looking at some of the photo instruction books at the bookstore that have images you would like to make."

G'day Karen - All,

Like above, I have only read the first third of the responses and am amazed. For the record, I feel you answered

your own question wonderfully in your response earlier. I have enjoyed your raising of this issue and the many

replies.

I guess I have have a couple of feelings on this one and imagine my answer will paraphrase the postings here.

In one way I feel that you can tell anyone the numbers but if they don't have a true feel for the shot then it

will mean nothing to them. Mind you, if they are the pro they proclaim to be then surely they should be expected

to know the numbers by now. Therefore, tell them as much as you want and they will only value your work even

more when they still can't reproduce your results. I will never forget a shoot at a wrestling show where a second

photographer from the same paper arrived argumentatively (but wrongly) saying it was their job. She made a goose

of herself publically and again argued when I suggested we both shoot it and log our work. Bottom line - 4 shots

were selected for this two page feature - ALL MINE. She just didn't have a feel for the shot or what was

happening in the room.

Secondly, as mentioned above, any person of rudimentary knowledge of photography and photoshop will generally

recognise the techniques being used to get a particular result. If they don't or can't, then they can pay for

this knowledge - I think this comes under the title of pain for your craft. I share your laziness and it

generally extends to my PS work. Simple layers for levels, brightness/contrast, colour and saturation is all I

tend to use.

Thirdly, a fellow photographer and I occasionally go out shooting when the light is "just right" on those rare

but perfect days where the it would be a sin to not use the quality of light available. My opinion of Aaron is

that he has forgotten more about shooting then I will ever know...but when we shoot a location, the only

discussion is on where we will go..Once there two people go about their business as individuals but music comes

from both...just like the way many individual raindrops all work together to wet a path. Our own eyes dictate the

way we represent the shot and how you could give advice or even want it is beyond me here.

I like this site as a place to place my "also-ran" shots. Shots that I felt for different reasons should have

worked but have not. I hope that they are viewed with a critical eye and genuinely criticisms...again it is the

pain of learning that makes us better. Perhaps you could suggest they place some shots here...but not offer your

learning without them paying for the pleasure.

My two cents worth.

Mike Sea

PS I have not proof read this reply and apologise for its length.

t

Onother

Karen, I looked at your site, and I can totally see why you would be inundated with questions. Your work is

incredible. I immediately found myself thinking, "how does she DO that?!" So much what I want to be. But I can

also completely understand why you don't want to just give out your hard-earned knowledge for free, not to mention

you don't have time for it (and you shouldn't feel guilty about that). However, pretty much as everyone has also said,

masters don't become masters just because they know the info, they become masters because of something they

have inside, that can't be so easily duplicated. Lots of people paint sunflowers, but nobody does sunflowers quite

like Van Gogh did sunflowers. Anyway, just my 1 1/2 cents. (I don't quite feel I'm qualified to give 2 cents, yet. Ha!)

Thank you for encouraging me in my journey. I hope that I can somehow be encouragement to you, as well,

someday.