Models

short1

I've been using friends - female friends - as volunteer nude models. I've some woman acquaintances who are still

modeling, and in return for their help, I provide them with 10 standard portfolio shots ( not the "artsy" stuff I try out on

PN ), in B&W or color. I'd be glad to make this sort of bartering arrangement with any woman in the immediate area

of New Orleans ( Note: I don't do "boutique " photos ), and the fact that I'm a physician seems to place the subjects

immediately at ease. However, I don't exactly have a line of volunteers at my door, because most of the women I

know are professionals of some sort, and are disinclined to have themselves displayed nude on a popular web site.

My question: From where do photographers who shoot nudes obtain their models, and how much do they generally

charge?

Thanks, Craig

In the net modeling world I've seen that experienced and inexperienced alike get around 75.00-150.00 per hour depending on

how many hours you book.

Expenses are negotiable and the models will generally book with several shooters in your area at the same time to make the

travel worth their time.

Lots of them out there that are VERY good if you are willing to pay. Try some of the more popular modeling websites like

OneModelPlace or Modelmayhem.

In Florida the going rate is $50-150, so pretty close to what Bruce said. The girls over 100 normally have tear sheets, like a shot in a Playboy NSS, or a panel in Playboy's feature shoot in their monthly magazine. There's also TFP for nudes too-- good place for practice.

Not entirely sure how leading with the MD axiomatically results in trust and cooperation. At any rate, why ask for million when you can't borrow 20 bucks? Go for establishing relationships based on solid portraiture and scaffolding your rep toward creating a small coterie of cooperative models who are comfortable with your approach and ideas. There's no formula. Cash nexus stuff is to pay the going rate and accept the results.

Gary: You'd be surprised what an M.D. after your name gets you, in and outside the photography venue.

Your advice is well taken...in fact, I happened to run into one of the more successful portrait and wedding photagraphers in my area, and it turns out that he mentors ( for a fee, of course ) both photography and Photoshop. If you look at my portfolio, you'll note that when I try to make even minor lighting or skin texture / tone corrections, the photo turns into a painting - PaintShopPro isn't...Pro, that is. I hope that working with a popular mentor will not only improve my technical skill with a camera, but my post-production work ( actually it couldn't be much worse). I also anticipate that I'll be able to network with others, including models, so as to establish a certain legitamacy - that "scaffolding" you mentioned. I found it interesting that one limits the number of models he works with to a small cohort,,,but it makes sense from both an aesthetic and interpersonal perspective. Again, good advice. Thanks, Craig . ( By the way, I had a friend in residency who joked ( I think ) that he'd walk into a single's bar with a stethoscope hanging from his ears, and answer a particular question with " Yes, I'm a doctor...how did you guess?")

Bill M.: Thanks...I've already visited the site, and I expect you're correct. It took me a while to decipher the TFP acronym, but I was pleased when I did; it was what I as an intermediate level photographer, and not seeking to make any money from the field, had hoped for. I'm not ready to sink thousands of dollars into equipment and models.

I truly appreciate the advice I've received here. For me, this is PN at it's best...not comprting, but helping out a less experienced and knowledgable photographer to get a boost up. You've all been terrific. Again, many thanks, Craig.

• 2 months later...

I have worked with friends before, and all I can say is, regardless if they are friend or not, you must get them to sign a contract/agreement (the official name of the document escapes me atm...sorry).

Make it clear up front the rights and licensing around the images you take, and the payment terms. It seems cold to do this amongst friends sometimes, but I have been burned before. My photo site I set up here in Columbus failed due to me not making sure the paperwork was in order.