What is happening here? (lens, camera, or user error?)

ellie_m

<p ><strong><em>"Yes, that's the lens I shot with. I switched cameras with my assistant a couple of times during they day and he didn't seem to be getting as much of the ghost window, but now that makes sense because he doesn't ever use as large an [aperture] as I do."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Yes.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I tempered my answer because I did not want to get into any side argument with my colleagues.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >For the record: I have seen Inverted Ghost Images from lenses WITHOUT a filter being used. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I am acquainted with the LENS DESIGN of the EF50mmF/1.8MkII. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >So, IMO, it is possible to get a ghost image with that particular lens if it were used at a very large aperture and in certain lighting conditions.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >That said, the FILTER is the MOST LIKELY and the MAJOR contributor to any Inverted Ghost Image – that is mainly because the glass on the filter is FLAT, which is conducive to bouncing the image back into the lens and onto the film or the sensor.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >So good practice demands, in these shooting conditions, the filter be removed first - for any lens.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>