How much should I charge for a pre-wedding portrait of the bride?

ella_swanson

I got an e-mail from a woman asking me to take some 'artsy' portraits of her for her parents as a gift. She's on

a tight budget, of course and I'm just wondering what a decent price to charge her would be. I really need the

money so I don't want to scare her off with too high a price but I also don't want to get ripped off.

I took a look at your website and I don't think your work is on the "budget" end of the spectrum. I would take a look at what

other photographers in your area are charging and start from there. If you want to help her out because she has already

booked her wedding with you, I would recommend including some prints or offering a discount on her print order. I

understand she's on a budget (aren't we all?) but don't sell yourself short! Plus, if you've already quoted her a price on

wedding coverage, she should know what ballpark she's looking at for portraits.

Hi, You say you dont want to be ripped off, well charge what you think you are worth, if the client dose not want to pay the

price, so be it. If I had a dollar for every client that said they were on a tight, budget I would have an unlimited budget...

Charge her what you believe your time is worth. You have to be satisfied, but if you REALLY need the money. Tell

her you have a sliding scale, but we need proof of her income level.

Personally, I would want a minimun of $200. But if you need X dollars do that amount.

If I'm doing an engagement shoot or a pre wedding portrait for a bride - I take into consieration if I'm also shooting the wedding and price accordingly.

Another words, if I am shooting the wedding, I discount the pre-wedding sessions. Can't tell you pricing because it depends on your market and your status in that market.